Greetings! At 60, I've Decided to Indulge

(35 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cwpiperman
  • Latest reply from Bill Nichols
  1. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

Hi!

I've been a non-smoker of anything all of my life, but over the last several months I have become very interested in pipes and pipe-smoking. I've done as much research as I can, watched hundreds of vids from many sources, including Stuff and Things, Muttnchop Piper and many more, and have read these forums as often as possible. I made my decision to indulge, and finding that I [had] some disposable income, I began with the following:

Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman cob. My first smoke was yesterday; Orlik Golden Sliced (I'm not really a fan of any of the aromatic smells or flavors, and would much rather taste the blends as a hobbyist). I truly enjoyed it, and from the beginning I began with the breath smoking technique (as Muttnchop and Alan Kerslake vids have described it) to build good habits and cadence. Yeah, I'm kind of detail oriented, but I found it a very relaxing experience.

Good thing too, because other supplies have arrived (and yes, I do fear TAD and PAD...I have other ADs which have preceded them).

All so far from Smokingpipes.com (not affiliated in any way):

Tobacco

Orlik Golden Sliced
    Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture (Yes, I'm aware of the Dunhill Dilemma)
    Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding
    A&C Petersen Escudo Navy Deluxe
    G.L. Pease Gaslight
    Dunhill Nightcap
    Dunhill Navy Rolls
    Lane 1-Q (for my lighter moments)
    (All in small quantities and now in pint mason jars)

Tools

2 Czech Tools
    2 rubber bits
    Myriad Pipe Cleaners

Lighter

Kiribi Tomo Gold + Flints

Pipes (At last)

MM Apple Diplomat (Bent)
    MM 5th Avenue Diplomat (Bent)
    Savinelli Professor Rusticated (106)
    Savinelli Venere Rusticated (670KS)

Again, very glad that I enjoyed the first smoke so much....and my plan is to SLOWLY work my way thru the various blends, taking my time to get used to the various tobacco varieties and preparations. Today I tried out the Plum Pudding....and I did very much enjoy it, although of course I can't begin to separate the complex flavors from the initial Orlik VaPer. I expect that this will become easier as time goes on.....I know they do taste different at this point, but I'm not sure why....and I thought, perhaps, they would be more different than they were. I'm assuming that comes with practice and experience in this wonderfully contemplative hobby.

In any case, here I am, and I'm sure I'll be annoying you with many questions on my journey.

Take care!

CW

Black Frigate Scurvy Dog, 4th Class...Savvy?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome CW. You won't find a better group of friendly, helpful and sometimes funny pipers. Jump in and have fun.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're off and running! Looks like a great start, and welcome to the forum.

Keep in mind that the first x number of smokes from a new pipe will affect the over all taste. Somewhere between a half dozen to two dozen to form a thin black layer of cake at which point the pipe will be somewhat neutral in its effect on the taste of the smoke.

Enjoy!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Definite good start, welcome aboard!

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Merry welcome!

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like you are off on the right track. Welcome to the club.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

" finding that I [had] some disposable income"

Well, pipe smoking will take care of that problem for you....welcome to the club.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the fold!

I'm interested to hear your take on 1Q. I bought some early on, just because it is among the most popular pipe tobaccos in the world. However, my intervening years of buying estate pipes have made 1Q a boogeyman of sorts, as it haunts a lot of very nice pipes that I've acquired.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ask as many questions that you need to ask. Up to a point, I believe that the more questions asked the happier the smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

ekert

Login to Send PM

Welcome!

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good God, kid. (Yeah, I can say that. -grin-) You jumped in with all four feet & both shoulders! Welcome, & Two Most Important Words:

Black. Frigate.

Glad to have you on board!

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard !

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to smoking and the forums!

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome. Looks like you're off and running. The floor is always open to questions. Lots of good info and discussion to be had.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On your marks, get set, GO.

And you’re off. Enjoy. Great group here.

Welcome.

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I truly enjoyed it, and from the beginning I began with the breath smoking technique (as Muttnchop and Alan Kerslake vids have described it)

Wow, just looked up Muttonchop. Hadn't heard of him. He keeps breath smoking like that, he's going to burn a hole in that pipe!

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

CW:Welcome to the forum ,looks like You've gotten all figured out, congrats on your wise decision,'
    Chasing Emb: Whole YT pipe community is likely to know him(Mr, Muttonchop-Chris) a former member of USMC
    Best Greets,Paul

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Whole YT pipe community is likely to know him

Learn something new everyday. Still looks like he's pushing that pipe awfully hard.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Glad to have you join the pipe smoking community here.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

CW, if Elizabethan is a favorite, and with its impending demise, Luxury Bullseye Flake, Escudo, and Acadian Perique may be of interest to you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. dunstanhillwell62

dunstanhillwell62

Login to Send PM

Welcome and what a great haul. Red Orlik is a favourite of mine and has been so since the mid-sixties and I'm surprised that SmokingPipes still have the Petersen-made 'Escudo'; these days it's being made by Scandinavian Tobacco Group.

...and yes, I do fear TAD and PAD...

You might as well embrace it, as you can't fight it.

Fumare Necesse Est Non Vivere
    (Masperius the Elder)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum and the world of Pipe smoking!

Ask away, and take your time enjoying each smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the pipe forum and to pipe smoking in general.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

WELL!

I thank each and every one of you who replied (and who are considering replying) to my initial post. I have discovered, much to my general delight and frequent amusement, that the pipe smoking community appears to be one of the friendliest, most intelligent and generally welcoming communities I've ever had the good fortune to find. Thanks to one and all for the warm and inclusive welcome.

Yes, I kind of decided if I'm going to do this thing, I'm going to do it right, and I decided to, bnichols23 has said, "jump in with all four feet & both shoulders!" And I delight, by the way, that you called me "kid". Tell me more about this "Black. Frigate" of which you speak. I do know there is a C&D blend by that name that you're probably referring to.....care to expound?

Interestingly, I did add an Avatar to my profile but I don't see it yet...perhaps it must be approved? Alas, also, I don't see any way of replying to you individually on this forum, so I'll do it all in this windbag of a second post.....

Jpmcwjr, thank you very much for the information about the evolution of the taste of a new pipe. I do understand the theory of cake, but wasn't aware that things evolved. I'll watch for that.

Peppesdad1, yes, you'll notice that I placed the word HAD in brackets for just that reason. That's been dealt with most effectively......

Woodsroad, I will report my experience with 1Q: if it ghosts as you say, I'll start it out in a cob to be safe. Thanks for the heads up!

Chasing Embers, along with the treatise on Black Frigate, can you expound on the issue you see with Chris' breath smoking technique? Quite interested, and certainly don't want to damage that which I have prostrated myself to the financial deity to obtain. And thanks for the recommendation for blends to "replace" the moribund Elizabethan.

Paulie66scandia, thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Dunstanhillwell62, thanks for the kind words. I am now part of the Pipe-Borg Collective. Resistance is futile.

Again, thanks so much for your warm welcome. I'll try to be an active participant and hope to contribute something useful, once I have...........something useful to contribute.

Be well!

CW

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the site. Next time you get around to ordering I would suggest grabbing a tin of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired. It is a wonderful Virginia/Burley flake that is readily available and very tasty. I noticed you had no Vaburs in your original order and that is a category that offers some really great blends.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

[b]cigrmaster I'll certainly do that!

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on Harris' recommendation of ODF; I think you'll like it.

Like a lot of the guys I'm in my *high* 60s & have an attitude combined with an evyl sense of black humor, so I'm prone to take just about anything & run with it. I first took up the pipe in the '60s, so while there are a few here who predate me on both, it ain't all that many. }:)

Yeah, BF refers to the CD blend. It's a nice mild-medium English that has a *lot* to recommend it. I like straight Latakia,but absent that to me BF is as good as it gets. Embers is the Skipper & turned me onto it a while back. Jaytex is gunner, anthonyrosenthal is in the crew as well, & several others, including smitty, who we just kidnapped. Pappymac is a former Coast Guard type, & he's always ordering us to heave to & prepare to be boarded. We don't exactly have the rep of being the most peaceable scalawags in the world.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Chasing Embers, along with the treatise on Black Frigate, can you expound on the issue you see with Chris' breath smoking technique?

Black Frigate is just a tobacco that a few of us are really nuts about.

The breath smoking issue is that it should be a relaxed sort of smoking. Muttonchop is blowing smoke back through the pipe with every breath like a bellows, and that will really heat things up. The technique really shines when you only keep it going just enough to barely keep the ember lit. Kerslake's video displays is perfectly, and I also made one to fill in the gap to explain what was going on between breaths. G.L. Pease's website also did an informative article about it.

G.L. Pease Link

My Video

On a side note, I've been watching more of Chris's videos. Seems like a great guy. Still amazes me that I've never heard of him. Really great info, and entertaining as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Quite interested, and certainly don't want to damage that which I have prostrated myself to the financial deity to obtain. And thanks for the recommendation for blends to "replace" the moribund Elizabethan.

No worries there, pipesmoking can be as inexpensive or as expensive as you want it to be. I have cobs up to artisans, and have lately resigned myself to estate restorations. As for the Elizabethan recommendations, I've loved it for years, and have been scrambling to find alternates for a while. I love a good Va/Per.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. pipebeast

pipebeast

Login to Send PM

Better late than never!

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum. It is never late to start this hobby, enjoy it.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Atta boy. Take up smoking at age 60. Sounds intelligent.
    Pipes and pipe tobacco are truly enjoyable toys. Your correct to assume or realize that your palate will change over time with experience.
    Of the tobaccos I've tried in my first 4 yrs, the least indulged are the aros.
    Once I knew and found that I enjoyed the varietal differences, of burley, Virginia, Turkish Izmir, Latakia, Perique, cigar leaf, I guess I felt that the aros are aromatic mostly for the tin note anyway. What you taste is always the tobacco, bottom line.

Don't feel as if you have to respond to my post. It's all good.

I see that you don't use Matches860 (a longtime youtube presenter) for your smoking mentor. His puffing style is way aggressive.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

His puffing style is way aggressive.

Man isn't that the truth!

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is that what you call it?? I thought that was a milspec smoke generator!

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   chasingembers, josephcross, nhhiggy, loadclear, ashdigger, ben88, sholto, jiminks, tnfan, jpmcwjr, monkeylyf, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, danimalia, thefishguy