Greetings and is this normal or my imagination. . .

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottn

Lurker
Nov 1, 2012
Hello everyone, just signed up for the forum, been lurking for a couple days.
I used to smoke about 3 to 5 cigars a year with friends and stuff, but have always wanted to smoke a pipe. So about two weeks ago i had some extra cash laying around and thought "I am getting a pipe" So i went to the local tobacco shop that had a very limited selection. Picked out a Mitchell and Thomas pipe and J1 vanillia, Galleria Wild Cherry and Old Professor (all Atlandis bulk tobaccos). I have had 5 smokes and i am enjoying it thoroughly.
My question is this: after an evening smoke the next day occasionally when I eat some things i get this whiff of tobacco taste, it is very pleasant but i am wondering if this happens to anyone else or if i am imagining it.
Also when i smoke the wild cherry i expect a sweet cherry/tobacco smell, but it just smells like cigar or cigarettes.
Thanks

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
When I smoke a large bowl of Penzance, no matter what toothpaste, mouthwash or what I do I taste it the next morning. Not always a welcome taste to wake up to. However does not seem to slow me down based on how fast my supply vanishes.

scottn

Lurker
Nov 1, 2012
yeah i have a bit of that too but that is what i equate to ashtray mouth, got that all the time with cigars. This is a taste only while eating and it is actually pleasant not ashtray mouth.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Ah, the classic cherry blend conundrum. I'll bet 99.9% of new pipers include a cherry blend in their first foray. Don't dispair; this is very common with cherry. If you think you're going to be an aromatic smoker there are many fine blends to be had with high quality tobaccos. I rarely smoke them ut when I get in the mood for something sweet I will opt for C&D's Autumn Evening or Gentleman Caller. Many here will recommend 1Q which every B&M has and usually under their own name. So ask the owner for 1Q and he'll oblige you. It's a good starter blend with a pleasant taste and room note.

Welcome to the brotherhood and this forum. Keep us posted on your progress.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums, Scottn! :clap:

I can't say that I've ever tasted tobacco on the morning after.

But then again, I've been known to wake up in the middle of the night to have a bowl,

and the first thing in the morning I'm tasting the real thing with my coffee. :lol:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard.

Also when i smoke the wild cherry i expect a sweet cherry/tobacco smell, but it just smells like cigar or cigarettes.
Ah, the classic cherry blend conundrum. I'll bet 99.9% of new pipers include a cherry blend in their first foray. Don't dispair; this is very common with cherry.
The only cherry tobacco I have ever had that was worth smoking more than 1 bowl of is Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome Scott, I too used to be a big cigar guy, but am now pipes exclusively. I honestly don't miss them, and pipe tobacco is so much cheaper. I always have a sugar like coating on my lips when I am done smoking. I smoke Virginia and Virginia/Perique flakes and they are very sweet. There is always a lingering flavor which doesn't bother me at all. For a couple of suggestions I would recommend grabbing a tin of Escudo and Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug as entries into the world of flakes. They do require some reading up on as to how to smoke, pack and prepare, but once you get the hang of it, you too may become addicted to the FLAKE.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Ah yes...addicted to the flake.
as far as cherry goes, this seems normal. My advice for a cherry blend is CAO Cherry Bomb. Im not big into aro's anymore and am into Virginias and VA/pers. I would recommend Mac Baren Vanilla Cream. You can get flake or ribbon cut in a tin. as for 'ashtray mouth' I always got it with cigars, but rarely with pipes. Some blends if smoked right before bed leave me with the lingering taste the next morning but a fresh bowl cleans the palette. Most of the time with the blends i smoke the after taste is gone within a few hours and that always makes the misses happy.
Where are you located at?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream is an excellent smoke. I feel the flake form gives an even better flavor than the loose cut. Also, 1Q is a great blend as well. As for cherry blends, my favorite right now is Mac Baren's 7 Seas Red which is a semi-tart wild cherry flavor. It's a great big world. Enjoy yourself in it while searching for your go-to blend.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Welcome Scottn ... I can sometimes smell the tobacco on my robe, I smoke late at night in the garage and I'll wear my robe when its a bit chilly. Some blends like Yule Pudding by Jack Lee's aka pipeinhand and now JFH's Shortcut to Mushrooms will actually make me hungry in the morning LOL

scottn

Lurker
Nov 1, 2012
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the feedback. It helps.
I feel that my local B+M caters to the cigar and cigarette crowd. I am in the SW burbs of Minneapolis and i am looking for a good local shop.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Welcome mate. I can't say that I have ever found a Cherry blend that I liked. As for the after taste, some ppl have it more than others and alot also depends on the blends you smoke.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
One thing I noticed when I started out was that my mouth tasted groser the 'harder' I smoke. You may be doing everything right, but personally I noticed my ashtray mouth and pipe tounge went away when I made an effort to draw slowly. Just food for thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.