PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hello folks,

I just joined this forum, my first post. My name is Cliff, I am from La Habra Heights, California. I am new to pipe smoking, but so far I am enjoying it a lot. I inherited my dad's pipe collection which is mostly Italian and Danish briars, some in pretty good shape and some fairly worn, lots with teeth holes in the stems. I remember my dad used to smoke tins of St. Bruno, but he stopped smoking pipes in the early 80's (continued with cigars for a bit after that but eventually gave up tobacco entirely). Seeing how Dad was smoking non-aromatic tobacco in these pipes I plan on doing the same and have tried some tins of Dunhill which seems quite nice.

It's nice to be here. This seems like a very good forum and place to learn and share about pipes.
I do have a few questions that have come up since I started to use these pipes:
1) Some of these pipes have a small amount of build-up in the bowl and look fairly new, and some have a thicker cake, which I have reamed down to about a dime's thickness (as I read was the thing to do). I have also run pipe cleaners soaked in Bacardi 151 through the stems to clean them up a bit, and then set them aside for a few days to air out. Is there anything else I should be doing before smoking them? They have been in storage for years, but the ones I am using are in good shape and dad had them stored in baggies in a box.
2) After smoking a bowl, what I have been doing is running a pipe cleaner through the stem and then leaving the pipe cleaner in the stem for a day, and then removing the pipe cleaner.

Also, I have been bending a pipe cleaner into a U shape and wiping or dry swabbing out the bowl to remove any last ash or small pieces of tobacco that may be left in the bowl after emptying it. It just occurred to me that perhaps I should not wipe out the bowl as I may be removing ash and tobacco residue that will build up a good cake layer in the bowl. So, is it best to dry swab the bowl clean on a briar pipe after smoking a bowl, or is it best to leave the ash residue in the bowl?
3) Lastly, I bought a tin of Dunhill Early Morning and a tin of Dunhill London Mixture, both of which I really like. Any recommendations for the next English style to try?

There are so many different types out there it might be good to get a recommendation before going nuts and buying too much.
I look forward to hearing from you, and I look forward to many more smokes in these great old pipes.
Thank you,

Cliff

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Yeah, what rsuniv said! Once the initial ash and remnants have been removed from the bowl I blow into the stem forcing moisture out into the bowl. This also removes any ash that may have been forced into your draft while emptying the bowl. I horse shoe my cleaner but only lightly touch the sides of the bowl as to not interfere with the cake. I love Dunhill flake but with flake comes a whole other mastery of how to pack it (which I am currently toying with). Still, as of right now it’s a love affair!
j/B

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just run both ends of the pipe cleaner through the pipe, loop it and gently swab out the bowl and put it back on its rack to cool and dry. I don't leave a cleaner in it because even though the cleaner does absorb moisture, it is still a source of moisture being left in the pipe overnight and just extends the drying time. :wink:
Balkan Sobranie
Balkan Sasieni
White Knight
Black Frigate

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Welcome to the forums!
For blends to try I'd recommend trying everything that strikes your curiosity in the slightest. For specifics I think the following are great blends to check out.

Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River

Peter Stokebbye's Luxury Bulls Eye Flake

Frog Morton - Any of them

McCelellend's Blackwoods
These are all some of my favorite that I've tried.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thanks, guys. Good to know that swabbing the ash out is okay. It makes sense what you're saying about leaving the cleaner out of the stem to dry. Would like to try flake sometime--if my memory is correct, the St. Bruno that was smoked for a long time in these pipes was a flake or a block (it was a rectangular tin)--but as you say it's a whole other process. For the time being I'll try a few more tins, thanks for the recommendations. Have discover Pipes and Cigars on the web and they make it easy to try a variety.

Thanks again!

Cheers

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Welcome aboard Cliff. Seems like you have started off pretty well and glad to see another enthusiastic piper. After every smoke I run a pipe cleaner through it, but I don't let the cleaner sit in the stem. Im sure that this wont hurt your pipe at all, I just dont personally do it. I also use Isopropyl alcohol on my cleaners to clean out the stem and shank every month or so. As for the ash in the bottom, I typically place my hand over the bowl (covering the bowl) and give it a good shake to let the ash get a good coat on the entire chamber. A lot of the old timers I have smoked with do this. It helps build a nice cake and helps with an even build up over time. As for a good english blend, I smoke a lot of the frog morton blends as well as Old Dog which is made by Mcclelland. There are tons of great english blends so have fun and once again, welcome!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Very welcome. Don't be afraid to ask for help around here, all sorts of knowledgable and friendly sorts around here to help you along in your pursuit of this amazing hobby! :wink:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Welcome to the forum. You sure have a better grasp of fundamentals than I did when I was starting out. A pipe cleaner through the airway after a bowl is a good practice.
A more thorough cleaning at the end of a day's use will prevent your pipes from becoming fouled and will keep the airway open as it was engineered to be. At the end of a day's use I separate the stem from the shank and give the airway a good cleaning out, beginning with tapered bristle pipe cleaners, until the build up in the airway is gone. I use bristle pipe cleaners dipped in alcohol to clean out the airway in the stem, then fold one in a "U" to clean out the button. To remove any build up on the exterior of the stem, a little saliva on a cloth does the job. Saliva also works to remove the tar build up on the rim of the bowl. Also, make sure that you double over a pipe cleaner or two and swab out the mortise in the shank. A lot of smokers forget to do this very important chore and gunk builds up in the mortise over time which can make your pipe get a bit sour. Once the pipe is cleaned, I reassemble it and put it away to rest.
Every month or so, I use alcohol dipped pipe cleaners to clean out the shank airway and mortise to remove build up. When the last pipe cleaner comes out white, I'm done.
With pipes that have been in storage, it's a good idea to give the entire airway a thorough cleaning, from chamber to button.
Cake is a matter of taste. Some people avoid building a cake of any thickness, others leave a dime's worth. Swabbing out the chamber after a smoke will help you build a better quality cake.
If you leave about a 1/4 inch between the top of the tobacco and the rim, you can better avoid charring the rim. I also moisten the rim with a little bit of spit before applying fire, as that also helps against charring the rim.
Check out the discussions in this forum. There's a wealth of knowledge to be discovered. Enjoy the journey!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I think Sable and others have covered just about everything for simple maintenance. What I love about the whole thing that is you can get 50 different answers to the same question, and all are right!
Welcome to the forum.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
If you like EMP and London Mixture you might want to try 965 and Standard Mixture and also Peterson's Old Dublin.

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
Another English blend to try would be Sam Gawith's Squadron Leader...... opened my first tin of it last night, LOVED it!

curl

Apr 29, 2014
kane, you're fortunate to already have a collection of pipes with an intrinsic value. Perhaps this can help you resist the urge to splurge on buying expensive pipes. I think the money spent on this hobby is best spent on the tobacco, especially early in the hobby.
And guys here will recommend some very good tobaccos. But I think it makes sense to run those recommendations through your personal nicotine tolerance filter. I have many blends in my collection, but I have too much of some of them because their nicotine content knocks me for a loop. I've sort of learned the hard way not to buy a lot of a blend just because everyone and their dog loves it. I'm still glad to be able to smoke strong blends, but I need to enjoy them in small doses.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Yes, I think I've got enough pipes right now. Some are kind of beat, but a good half dozen look to be in good shape. I do feel the nic. So far I've just been doing some Dunhills, and the London has a good kick. I like the English blend and am keen to try some Balkan blends. I've been building up my shopping cart at P&C based on these recommendations and reviews on that site. Is there a way to predict the nicotine level in a blend? Are some types of tobacco high higher levels than others?

curl

Apr 29, 2014
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/browse
Tobacco Reviews seems to reflect the wisdom of the pipe crowd. Each reviewed tobacco has a cumulative score of several of the smoke's attributes, including strength. I use the search function on this site a lot and I filter by highly recommended and over 50 reviews...or more. Me and the crowd there seem to agree on potency of the tobacco we've both sampled.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Curl,

thank you very much for that link. Those reviews cover everything it seems. That rating system answers the issue of nicotine. The stuff I've tried so far is all medium strength, and I feel the nicotine, but it's not bad. I guess one has to work his way up to the heavy stuff. This is certainly not as bad as when I smoked my first cigar as a youngin......I turned green.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
n4y5it.gif

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Welcome. It is nice t to see you carry on the tradition. Recommendations:
H & H; Black house

Anything G.L. Pease

HH vintage Syrian

HH Latikia Flake
Enjoy. Let us know what you fry next and give a review.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Want to thank you guys again for your warm welcome and advice.

I now have in my possession or on the way:

Dunhill Standard Mixture, London Mixture, 965, Early Morning Pipe;

H&H Blackhouse and Whiteknight;

Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader;

McClelland Frog Morton;

GL Pease Maltese Falcon and Westminster;

Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River;

HH Vintage Syrian.
I think these should keep be busy for a while developing my palate for pipe tobacco.

So far I've tried the Dunhills and the H&H; the rest are yet to arrive.

I like the EMP and 965. The Blackhouse seemed similar to 965, kind of spicy and herbal. The White knight is very smooth and mellow, and the missus commented that it has a sweet smell.....she likes the aroma, so so-far-so-good!
Thanks again and cheers!

sirgawain1

Lurker
Jan 21, 2011
Northern Neck of Virginia
IMHO, One of the truly great English-style smokes out there is Iwan Ries' "Gourmet English. Very well-balanced, not a Latakia bomb, good, buttery-sweet Virginias...a truly sublime smoke. This is what I imagine J.M. Barrie's much-loved and lauded "Arcadia Mixture" to be like. Primarily, I'm a smoker of Virginia flakes and kakes, but I could smoke IRs' Gourmet English all day long.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
kane keep us posted on your thoughts concerning the list you purchased. There are a lot of personal favorites and also ones Ive yet to try. I'd love to keep tabs on your pipe journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.