PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

connor

Lurker
Apr 18, 2013
Hi, I am new to the world of pipe smoking and I am looking into buying my first pipe . I like the look of straight stem pipes ( I think that's what it's called) such as the ones Aragon smoked in lord of the rings. Can anybody recommend a cheepish pipe of this style ?
Also I would just like to say hello to everyone

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Oh you are looking for a MacQueen pipe. I will warn you are going to get mixed feelings about them. I have one and love it.
Down side of them is the bowl gets very hot and they are a bit difficult to clean.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Greetings connor. Welcome to the forums.
Did you mean this pipe? http://www.lotrfanshop.com/lotrshop/pipes/rangerpipewdetachablestem.asp?ReturnPage=/lotrshop/pipes.asp
I'll defer to other, wiser, members of our community here, but would suggest that this looks to me like a dublin shaped bowl, with a slightly forward cant. The pipe might also be considered a "churchwarden" given the long length of the stem/shank.
Hope that helps
-- Pat

connor

Lurker
Apr 18, 2013
Yes that is the style I mean Thankyou. Although any straight stem/shank style would suit me but I'm on a students budget

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Might I suggest since you are new to the pipe wold to get a couple of standard strait stem basket pipes. For two reasons.
1) being new you really shouldn't get a pipe like that quite yet due to cost and frustration.

2) you should enjoy your piping experience. Learn how to clean and perfect your packing methods.
I had a friend go out and get one and got frustrated with it and up and quit even with words of encouragement.
Down the road consider it again for a future purchase. Not dashing hopes, just giving advise.

connor

Lurker
Apr 18, 2013
All advice much appreciated. It's what I'm here for to learn from people with knowledge

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
A couple of basket pipes may run you about $50-60. And leave a little left over for tobacco.
You are in the right place to get advise and maybe a little experience.

graywizard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2013
pruss - never knew that sold that. thanks - but not interested. had 2 churchwardens and I have had the experience.
:))))

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
+1 to tokerpipes ... totally agreed
Picking up a straight stem dublin, tankard, poker or billiard out of a basket at your local tobacconist is a good way to start. FYI "basket pipes" literally refer to low priced briar pipes available (commonly) in a basket near the cash in your local B&M (bricks & mortar... given your pipe preference should call this bricks & Mordor) tobacconist.
Another alternative would be to pick up a couple corn cob pipes to see if you like pipe smoking before you spend the money on a more expensive pipe.
-- Pat

connor

Lurker
Apr 18, 2013
I have smoked cigars before after being introduced by the better halff farther . And carved my own pipe (disaster) I have seen pipes online for 20-30£ are these a no go like a garage cigar ?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Those could be considered high end basket pipes. They usually have a common name. Check out the cheaper pipes for the names at www.pipesandcigars.com. If the names are the same you can't go wrong.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
If you are on a budget and want the best smoke possible the no brainer would be Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob Pipes. They smoke terrific and don't break the bank. If you are not wanting a cob i would suggest a Mr Brog.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Connor if you are looking for a cheaper side churchwarden check out a Mr. Brog #14 on ebay. I got mine for under thirty dollars and it just came in today. It is a great first churchwarden IMHO because I am getting the churchwarden experience (hot bowl and cool smoke) for a pretty cheap price. Not soliciting for Mr.Brog just giving my .02 because I am in a similar situation.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Missouri Meerchaum corn cob pipes are the way to go for those on a budget. They smoke great and will not put you back a whole lot of money. Also like others have posted I hear Mr. Brog does a decent job on his pear wood church wardens.

Status
Not open for further replies.