PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Good Afternoon All
A cigarette smoker who is tired of the smell and the constant habit of just lighting up. I have ordered a pipe that I feel will fit me based on all the talk on this forum as well as some different types of tobacco, they haven't arrived yet, but hope so any day now.
My question as a greenhorn would be, am I stupid to think I can toss the cigs and just use pipe, can I inhale the smoke like a cig, can I just have a half bowl when I wanted a hit, or does it have to be a full bowl?
I guess any comments would be appreciated as well as what your experiences are.
Thanks,
Richard

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Richard, welcome to Forums. I think you'll find this site a wealth of tobacco pipe smoking information.

Be sure to check out the articles, videos, and radio available here, in addition to Forums. Some of these

are specifically for new pipe smokers and offer valuable information on packing, smoking, cleaning, and

maintaining pipes. There is much information on tobaccos, blenders, and retailers. Quick answers to

some of your questions. You can inhale pipe smoke, but that is not the usual traditional way to smoke

a pipe, so please at least consider weaning yourself from that habit. You can certainly let the pipe go out --

put it in a safe place like an ashtray, upright -- and come back to it when you want. It's not my preferred

smoking style, but if a lot is going on, I can smoke a bowl in four or five increments if necessary. Mostly,

don't be shy about asking questions. Sometimes you will get conflicting answers, and you can sort them

out for yourself, but that's what makes Forums fun and interesting. This is an unusually balanced and

various group -- all types of folks, many different perspectives on pipes. And mostly, we stick with the

pipe subject, which is a comfortable common ground, mostly. Again, welcome, and enjoy.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Hi Richard and welcome to the forum.
The pipe is not going to give you the nic fix that you get from a cig, but what it can do is give you a sort of 'ritual' that will help you break the habbit of cigs. So in the beginning you will still have those nic cravings, but in time those will diminish. I wouldn't recommend inhaling pipe tobacco, but you might find it hard to not do in the beginning out of habbit. Just be patient and things will fall into place.
It might take some time, but I believe you will be happier with the pipe than you are with cigs. I sure know I was.
Good luck!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Used to be a pack a day smoker and now I'm down to a pack a week. I will sometime take a small inhale when smoking the pipe with no real problems but it would depend heavily on what your smoking. I smoke 1Q mostly which is a fairly mild tobacco, doing it with a stronger tobacco may not be so easy.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Greetings and welcome from Alberta, Canada.
I have never smoked a cigarette, so I can't offer any advice on that subject. I started smoking a pipe 2 years ago and I find it a very relaxing and interesting pastime. Great people and great advice all around, so if you have any questions, ask away.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
When I smoked cigarettes and pipes I used the ritual of selecting, loading and firing up the pipe to mentally change gears so that I did not inhale, even with the pipe in my mouth for long periods of time when I was working. It took a while and eventually became second nature.
I find that I get good nicotine satisfaction by smoking blends with high nicotine content and that releasing the smoke slowly through my nose provides all the nicotine I need., The moist membranes in the nose soak up the nicotine very well. Also, it's the burning of the tobacco that generates the carcinogens so, if you are looking to reduce your chances of lung cancer, do not inhale into the lungs. The same advice would stand with regards to standing over a campfire and inhaling the smoke.
The beauty of the pipe, as opposed to most cigarettes is that the pipe tobacco is not adulterated like the paper which envelopes most cigarettes to keep the tobacco burning. That's why cigarettes keep burning when resting in an ashtray. You can set the pipe down and return, re-light and enjoy. With cigarettes, your money is burning up as it sits in the ashtray and your are not getting anything out of it. There are cigarettes that do not use such infused paper, but you gotta seek them out. One normally doesn't find Nat Sherman's and other such brands at the grocery store. You gotta do to a tobacco shop for those products. Only a good tobacco shop will offer a decent variety of tobacco product.
Damn! Talk about verbose! I'm done!

We do get nicotine from smoking a pipe, through the small blood vessels in our mouths and sinuses, but it's very slow, about 30 minutes and with a smaller dose, in comparison to a 5-7mg nic hit from a cig. So, you can't just move to traditional methods of pipe smoking easily and expect to just switch. I fought cigarettes for over ten years, using every gimmick with no success. Until I decided to use RYO in a pipe. I used the Camel brand equivellent of a light Turkish, and just packed the pipe half full and inhaled away, (cough cough). I did this through an entire bag of RYO. However, this will scorch your throat and tongue. So, it naturally forces you to slow down.
As I finished that 16oz bag, I moved to a better pipe and better tobaccos. I smoked Captain Black and tried a few other aromatic blends, and stopped inhaling... as much. And, after a month, I was smoking in more of a traditional way. After a year, I switched to better tasting Virginia blends and have not inhaled for a long time. And, I have improved my slow smoking technique, or the zen of the pipe, so to say.
You will have withdrawals, and lighting a pipe doesn't give you a fix, shaky hands fumbling with tobacco and lighters. You will still need will power to wait till you can do your proper ritual that the pipe requires. And, keep in mind that the pipe is just as addictive; however, many of us believe that is safer than cigarettes, relatively speaking. But, it is an addiction, just a better one, IMO. Some claim they aren't addicted, and I envy them. However, that's just not my experience. Nicotine is nicotine, and it's one of the most addictive things in the world.
If you decide to stick with the pipe, you'll get lots of good, bad, and confusing ideas here, lol. But, it is a great brotherhood that is here to lend you their advice and opinions and encouragement. I wish you luck in getting rid of that evil monkey. :wink:

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I smoked a pack per day for many years. I now smoke two bowls per day about. I haven't smoked a cigarette in about 4 or 5 years.
I did not understand the pipe until I quit cigarettes. The nicotine from pipe smoking is different, more gradual. I had to get rid of that immediate urge cause I was always chasing it. I wish you the best of luck.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Thanks to all of you for the great notes, I had a grandfather who smoked a pipe, I loved the smell in his old house, whether he was smoking or not.
My plan is to start out with some mild aromatics, then perhaps switch to more traditional blends, I have found a great site south of the border that I can order 7 oz without having to pay our high taxes. Not the reason for switching, but certainly a bonus, that extra money can go into more fly rods and flies :)
Here is what I have ordered to come in, let me know what you all think.
Paladin Black Cherry

Captain Black, Royal and Gold

Butternut Burley and an Aromatic Sampler.

Your thoughts,
Richard

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
A few thoughts on transitioning from cigarette to pipe:
1. If you smoke industrial cigarettes (pre-rolled, come in a pack) , stop. Immediately. They are poison. Aren't even real tobacco. Switch to RYO. Get some Drum or Bali Shag, some papers, some filters, and a little hand roller. This is important for two reasons. First it will slow you down. You'll start to get to know and appreciate the ritual of smoking. Second because you will begin to taste much better quality tobaccos with far less chemical content than those nasty industrial cigarettes.
2. Don't try too quit cold turkey. Ration your cigarettes. For example: one first thing in the morning, one after lunch, one before bed. Stay disciplined to that and it makes it much, much easier.
3.. Choose the right tobacco. I would NOT recommend aromatics for two reasons: first, they are too mild for someone already addicted to nicotine. They will foil your plan by not delivering the goods. Second, as an experienced smoker, you are going to be tempted to be a faster and more aggressive pipe smoker. That's ok: you don't have to be a 2-hour pipe sipper- that's virtually impossible for a cigarette smoker. You'll tend to be a puffer rather than a sipper. So your natural cadence will cause aromatics to burn hot and give you tongue bite.
Instead, I would recommend two types of tobacco: burleys and VaPers (Virginia / Perique blends). Both will give you the nicotine you need. And both will give you the more natural tobacco flavors you'll likely enjoy. Burkey blends are good oxfords or your all-day smoke. VaPers are great for the evening when you're relaxed and have time to really appreciate a good smoke. I recommend Angler's Dream, a bilk blend from Hearth and Home (Pipesandcigars.com). It's a lightly flavored burley that's easy smoking. It was designed to mimic the old codger drug store blends but is made of better quality tobaccos and much less PG. You can inhale this one from time to time if you need to. Like the old school drug store blends, you could even roll it into a cigarette in an emergency Also recommended are Mac Baren Burley London Blend and Golden Extra. Both great, straightforward blends. Strart with the Angler's Dream as it's more forgiving on your tongue. For VaPers there are many recommendations. But for a cigarette smoker I would recommend Escudo. Sure, it's not a bulk blend. It'll be a little more expensive. But it's also not your all-day smoke. Trust me on this. Escudo.
4. Inhale if you need to. It's not the end of the world. Don't let anyone tell you different. If you're going to quit cigarettes, you're going to have to take the odd inhale in stride.
5. Smoke like a cigarette smoker. You're not in a race to finish the pipe. Nor are you in an endurance marathon. Light it, take a few sips. Smoke it for awhile. Then set it down. If you feel an urge, come back and relight 10 minutes later. You can do this all day.
6. Buy a bunch of cobs. Good cobs: Missouri Merschaum. You'll need 'em. Can't just smoke the same pipe all day, every day or it'll sour. Rotate through these cobs. They'll set you back $19 or less each. As you begin to acquire briar pipes, you can smoke these cobs while the briar rests. You may also want to look at pear wood pipes. They are a fraction of the cost of briar and, in my opinion, are excellent for smoking Virginias.
7. Become pipe obsessed. Read this forum constantly. Search and research. Read old threads. Read tobacco reviews. All of them. Thousands of them. Become a hobbiest. Fall in love with the pipe and with pipe tobacco. That will make your transition much easier.
Good luck.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Thanks Perique, how do I know what tobaccos have what level of nicotine I want? I have an Dr Graboy on order now, hopefully it shall arrive in mail soon, just how many pipes should I have? And is there a real need for a lot?

pseudonym

Lurker
May 10, 2012
May I make a somewhat off-beat suggestion?
If you don't feel obligated to inhale just for the sake of inhaling, but just want the big nicotine hit that comes from it, you might want to consider supplementing your nicotine intake with nasal snuff. I've been experimenting with snuff for a couple weeks now, and I find the nicotine hit to be much stronger and faster; so if you just need a big, fast buzz it should tide you over until you have the time to smoke a whole bowl.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Salmon, there's not really any standardized system for measuring nicotine content of pipe tobacco. Nor is nicotine content generally communicated as part of the description. Generally, burley, Virginia, and VaPer blends will have higher nicotine content than aromatic or English blends. Many VaBur (Virginia / Burley) flakes are near the top of the nicotine food chain - blends such as Peterson's Irish Flake. Also some ropes with names like Black (or Brown) Irish X, etc. But there are also some Virginia ready-rubbed blends that have a reputation for strong nicotine, such as Dunhill Royal Yacht. The recommendations I gave you in my post are what worked for me.
Dr Grabow make excellent pipes and are a great value. There is a bowl coating that Grabow uses that might taste nasty at first. Just ignore it and smoke through it. It'll burn off and cake over and you'll have an excellent pipe. I have a few Grabows and love them.
As for how many pipes you need, that depends on how much you smoke. You'll get many different opinions here but the general consensus is that you'll want to smoke briar once and then let it rest overnight. Some let their pipes rest much longer. That's why I recommend filling in the gaps with cobs. They are cheap. And good smokers. I'll run through 4-6 cobs on any given day. Then just rest them overnight. Sometimes I'll restart the cob rotation later in the day on a heavy smoking day.
Keep reading here. Search out threads that interest you. Keep asking questions. Welcome to the obsession.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Coming from my profession, wont say what, but I just cant see myself smoking a cob, reasons are far and long :) I guess I just might go buy myself 3-6 briars, I know what type of pipe I really like, full round bowl, medium length stem and a curved tip, and nothing to over the top. Money isnt an issue, but I see no reason in blowing a ton of cash on something I might not end up liking..I am planning on minimum 3 bowls a day. So I should have 4 pipes minimum?

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Welcome Salmon
I'm a new pipe smoker AND weening cigarette smoker who started smoking a pipe right before thanksgiving. I am listening to Perique's advise and he is right about the aros. Their nicotine content is way less. BUT I love their taste and smell soooo much better that I can't help my self. But I also like Latakia Role cake and a few other english blends. I also don't want to switch to a high nicotine content pipe tobacco as I want to end that addiction all together.
I normally don't inhale my pipe unless I am getting the ills from the withdraw. I found that a few inhales will fix me up when in need. I also find that the ills are coming less and less. Stress though still has me reaching for a pack here and there out of weakness.
After trying it with a cheep pipe that I don't use anymore I then got a nice pipe and out of desire and liking this new addition to my life got another. Smoking 3-5 bowls a day though I wore my two pipes out and smoked one to sour after about two or two and a half weeks. A good cleaning and rest fixed it though. You will know when your pipe is about to go sour when your tobacco starts to loose all its taste. Sour is next. I got then two more mid range pipes. I would like to say that was enough but I cant say eitherway. I found more pipes that I liked and since it was a rare occasion where I had some money got them over the next two months. I got eight now with one more slot to fill in my box. I think though 4 would suffice if you follow the pipe cleaning advise here. But you will like shopping for pipes
Alot of people here love cobs. I would suggest buying ONE first if you want and trying it before buying a bunch. My first cob a Missouri Mershumm that I got from the drug store when my first pipe went sour is as far as I could chuck it from my front door to my woods. It tasted like burning corn to me. But again MANY MANY MANY people here swear by them.
The advise of blowing our smoke out your nose is good but be carefull. some pipe tobaccos burned my nose if it was a lot of smoke. This after blowing cigarette smoke out my nose for YEARS with out a hitch. I often pack a half a bowl, or leave half for later but found that it is better for my pipe if I am past the half way point, or resuming a half a bowl to finish it to ash as it keeps the wet spot in the bowl to a better minimum. Its also a good idea to to me to swab up a messy wet spot if present with a pp towel or something. I would personally not start a bowl near the bottom with out being careful to not torch the bottom with the flame.
My 50c being in the same boat a few seats in front of you.
BTW I love salmon especially RAW over rice.. actually you can keep the rice. Keep in touch

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Give this a read too:

http://tobacconistuniversity.org/tobacco-college/cigarettes1.asp

More specifically, the flue-curing process that was used on these Virginia varietals yielded a tobacco that was more acidic than its predecessors or counterparts. Ultimately, the lighter flavor and aroma of the Virginia tobacco, coupled with its higher acidity made it ideal for inhalation - as the lungs absorb acidic smoke more easily than alkaline smoke. Ironically, the alkaline properties of stronger, darker tobaccos used for cigars and pipes made it impractical, if not impossible, to inhale. By 1864, a mild and light varietal of air-cured Burley, known as White Burley, was developed and was suitable for inhalation/cigarettes as well. Either through accident or coincidence these tobaccos emerged in time to help create a whole new economic and social force: the American cigarette industry.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There's a lot of great advice and experience in the replies above.
IMO cigarettes, as compared to pipes and cigars, are the answer to tobacco addiction. Taking the smoke into your lungs, the nic hits the bloodstream more or less instantaneously. You want it you got it. Though the places to smoke are much more restricted than before, if you make it your business to smoke them, at least half the time, the desire to smoke can be satisfied quickly. Cigarettes then become the answer to various never-ending anxieties. Tired/smoke, anxious/smoke, elated/smoke, stressed/smoke, etc. etc.
A pipe is not like that. It takes time to prepare it, it is more cumbersome in the hands, it has its ritual and its pleasurable paired activities. It requires more thought and a certain amount of expertise as regards smoking technique; thus, it is not instant gratification and not as amenable to answering addiction's call.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
4nogginsmike wrote:
A pipe is not like that. It takes time to prepare it, it is more cumbersome in the hands, it has its ritual and its pleasurable paired activities. It requires more thought and a certain amount of expertise as regards smoking technique; thus, it is not instant gratification and not as amenable to answering addiction's call.
so the trick is to get unaddicted, so that can enjoy your pipe which is about pleasure and relaxation rather than addiction.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
I had smoked cigarettes for 40 years and tried a pipe many times. I couldn't get away from the addiction to cigs. Finally I quit smoking for almost a year. I got the urge again and decided to go for the pipe and am loving it. The tobacco in cigarettes is so addictive that it's hard to get away from it. I now have no desire for them now am thoroughly enjoying the hobby of pipe smoking. I guess the best advice I can give is to try to resist the cigs and stick to the pipe..hard to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.