Green Residue on Pipe, Buffing Compound to Blame?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
A while back I bought a sandblast pipe that I thought was either lightly used, nicely restored, or both. Today was I was going to smoke the pipe for the first time, and upon taking it outside I noticed a green residue in some of the nooks and crannies on the shank, in some light tooth chatter on the stem, and along the cut for the button. There is even a faint green cast around the nomenclature. Is this residue likely the remnants of a buffing compound? If not, does anyone have any ideas what it would be?
I would provide pictures, but the residue is not well captured by a camera.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
This is a pretty bright green, like the felt you might see on a new pool table.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Oxidation could explain the coloration on the bit but not the crannies on the shank. I don't recall seeing buffing compound in green but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. What you usually see on blasted or textured pipes is that red deposits of jeweler's rogue. buroak, green would scare the hell out of me :)

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
green would scare the hell out of me [:)]
gloucesterman, I am not necessarily scared, but green wood involuntarily conjures up the image of arsenic treated lumber.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
While I am waiting for my camera battery to charge, I am wondering if there is a buffing compound or polish that would turn green if left exposed to air.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
There is a green jeweler's rouge that could be used as a buffing compound.

41jBRnpj80L._SY400_.jpg

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
There is a green jeweler's rouge that could be used as a buffing compound.
This would be my guess as well. Green rouge is much finer than your garden variety white diamond and I can see it being used as a last step before the wax is applied. The restorer may not has clean buffed it enough before applying the carnauba.
6000 Grit Green Rouge

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
samcoffeeman and torque, My thanks to both of you for putting my mind at ease. The green of that rouge is the same as what I see on my pipe. I had hoped to have pictures up by now, but a dead car battery and rainstorm changed my plans.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Buroak- It's almost certainly a green buffing compound- one way to get the stuff out of the nooks and crannies is to use a horsehair brush either rotating or hand-held (only on the shank or sandblasted areas), not on the stem)...That should help...

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Zack24, Thanks. I have a horsehair brush, and I will see if can get the green off the shank. I will clean the stem according to my usual process. I am glad to know the residue is most likely not from something nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.