PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Someone mentioned to me offhandedly when I was thinking of a Peterson billiard stained in racing green that the stain eventually turns to a brownish hue because of the heat in the chamber. I'm thinking of a Peterson Prince churchwarden stained in green. Does green fade or change in these pipes? They are really quite attractive but I don't want to get a green pipe that eventually fades on me.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A lot of factors affect the changes in a pipe finish, depth and quality of the stain, oxidation, UV, tobacco residue leeching into the wood, oil from one's hand and fingers, gentle abrading from being handled, and etc. Age and exposure to the elements are just part of life. I know I'm not as smooth, pink, and shiny as I was when I was still under warranty.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
They do fade with age, handling etc. Just like the red off the Bruyere or the black off the Dress Dunhills. I think it adds character ....

Jan 8, 2013
I saw an estate peterson at smokingpipes.com not too long ago in which the green was fading in one area turning to more of a brown... it actually looked kind of neat I thought.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I think all stains fade sooner or later to some degree. With heat and handling it's inevitable unless it's coated with a sealant. Even that will wear off and be left to fade.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well made points, gents. When my bank account will allow it, I will think about a green pipe. There's a racing green Peterson billiard, I think, that I've been thinking about, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.