PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Interesting perspective on that fight. I sort of feel that way about him, he's getting lots of hype because of the state of the sport. Just a feeling I get.

adam12

May 16, 2011
There is no question that he is a true diplomat for the sport in a way NO MMA dudes will ever be, regardless of how much more popular MMA may be right now. He is the closest to a true old-school "appeal" for that reason. The days of the super-star boxer are long gone and he's the closest we have.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
In his prime, I think Tyson would beat any of the greats in their prime. Not with so much sweet science or finesse, but by hitting them in their face.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Tyson = sheer power

Ali = completely finesse
Would have been a great fight.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Man, I will still watch the old ali fights in black and white, he is great.
But I agree its Ali or Tyson, not sure who would win. honestly I think it could go either way any time

adam12

May 16, 2011
Tyson = brutal. Strong as Foreman except 100 times faster. I might give him the edge over Ali

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Tyson wouldn't have been quick enough for Ali...Ali would've worn him out.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Tyson wouldn't have been quick enough for Ali...Ali would've worn him out.
He wouldn't have sat still for a half second enough to let Tyson get a shot off. Would have been a perfect fight
I always liked Forman he may have been slow but his power was amazing.
Agreed. He was a bull. In that movie about Zaire they show some scenes from Foreman's warmups and he beat the crap out of the bag so bad, it was disfigured. Dude was sick.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I'm going to stick with power over finesse. The Roman gladiator's short sword and shield was used in real combat a lot more than the net and trident. But that's just me, and is why I prefer a 7-shot .357 magnum over a 15-shot 9mm.
I think MMA's striking and submissions wins hearken back to the gladiator days' short sword and shield vs net and trident - any way you slice it, it's fun to watch.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In his prime I'd say Pacquiao. He's belted in about eight different weight classes. That's pretty impressive. I think his tailing off with this last fight is mostly due to his age and the fact that he's getting more involved in politics in his native country.
Never been a fan of MMA really. It's supposed to be Mixed Martial Arts, so how come nobody ever usese Taekwondo or Kung Fu or Karate? All I've ever seen is a hybrid of boxing and Jiu Jitsu. If I wanted to watch two grown men roll around on the ground in speedos I'd flip on Monday Night Raw where I at least get entertained by the likes of John Cena and The Rock. To me UFC just isn't as extreme as it's made out to be. I've seen hockey fights that are more intense than UFC matches.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
It's hard to compare the heavy weight fighters of old to those of today.Todays are much bigger.Joe Lewis weighed just over 200 pounds.He hit really hard though.Sugar Ray Robinson was great I think he was a middle weight.Sunny Lston was like Tyson.They say Ali beat him twice.I wonder about that though.Ali was the best of his day.I doubt though that he was the best of all time.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
George Forman , when he raises those forarms it is like a shield . I think he could have taken Tyson in his prime . I often wonder how good Leon Spinks could have been had he not landed in jail . I also wonder how much better the sport would have been without Don King .

adam12

May 16, 2011
George Forman ... I think he could have taken Tyson in his prime .
I'll agree with that. It would have been a BRUTAL fight, two bulls goring each other

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
Aaron THE HAWK Pryor.He was local boxer.

http://youtu.be/XJfpQh3mdik

Status
Not open for further replies.