PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
We were having a discussion the other day and someone brought up the best and worst inventions of the past 150 years or so. Universally we all agreed it was the Integrated Circuit because it makes all modern electronics possible and launched computers, the web, enabled huge advances in medicine, communications, etc. I thought I'd toss it out here. Other than the IC, what inventions do you think are the best and worst?
The Best
1. The Safety Bicycle - or the modern day bike. What a brilliant invention! Usable to for, play, general transportation or exercise, its an invention thats more relevant today than it was when it was invented. Immensely green, it solves many traffic problems, helps with health, encourages shopping locally and is just plain fun. Nearly every time you ride you're brought back to when you were 10 and discovering the world with the wind in your hair and the new found freedom it enabled.
2. Modern air-conditioning: Willis Haviland Carrier was a freaking genius! It's 85 and humid outside but I am sitting comfortably in a 70 degree room with no moisture. Air conditioning makes life better for everyone. It saves marriages and keeps people from getting beaten to a pulp, especially by those of us who get cranky from the heat. :)
Worst:
During our discussion, a woman jokingly said she thought the wonder bra was the greatest invention of the 20th century. I promptly told her it was the worst and she was shocked that a man would think that. So I said, well think about it, who is the wonder bra for? Pam Anderson? A wonder bra is like the most beautifully wrapped Christmas present someone puts under the Christmas tree for you 3 weeks early. You look at it and wonder what's in there. Your desire grows and your imagination flows. You think about what's in there and get excited through out the build up to Christmas! You can't wait to open it! Then finally, the day comes and...
You tear off the ribbon! (what's it gonna be? what's it gonna be!)
Rip through the paper! (what's it gonna be? what's it gonna be!)
Open the box! (what's it gonna be? what's it gonna be!)
Toss out the tissue and find...
plain old tube sox.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
Best: Probably internet. As much as I'd like to live without it I know that my life would never be the same.
Worst: The Snuggie. Why? What's wrong with blankets? And I can turn a robe around!

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Best - Mobile phones. Now i can call people whereever i am and get my emails on the move

Worst - Mobile phones. Now everyone can call me wherever i am and i have no excuse to ignore that work email for a little bit longer
Pros and cons to everything....

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Best: HDTV 16x9 giant flat screen televisions and The computer internet
Worst: The computer internet and Crocs

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Worst; TV cellphones car stereos

Best ; beer. I know its older than 150 years old but still the best

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Best invention; Fossil Fuels.

Without it, we'd all live short dirty little lives. We'd warm our homes, and cook our meals over wood and dung, forests would be practically extinct, thick black smog would hang over population centers from millions of wood fires. Most of the advances in medicine and agriculture that have doubled the average lifespan would disappear. The boom from synthetic fertilizer and pesticide allows us to live on something other than the verge of starvation, not to mention the speed which we can harvest and transport livestock, grain and produce.

Thanks dead dinosaurs !

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Best: Paved roads. The reason America, Canada, England, Japan.....became the countries they are today are because of the roads. Think about it. With new roads come new opportunity and everything else. The poorest and the most "behind the times" places in the world are the places with the least amount of roads. The reason China is surging past everyone right now is because China is investing in their roads (infrastructure) while the rest of the world is just maintaining ancient/outdated roads.
Worst: Modern Cigarette. I relate the makers of the Modern Cigarette to legal Crack dealers. To purposefully alter your product to increase a unhealthy dependance all for profit is just plain wrong. There is a difference between profitability and greed, and if it comes at the expense of someones health is just wrong.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Best - Far too many great inventions to choose from, so I am going to go with...Canada. Ha! (Technically, we became a nation in 1867)
Worst - Brylon...don't think I need to expand upon this. Muzak gets (dis)honourable mention.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
best.... v-twin engine and zippo lighters
worse... the prius and helmet laws.
fyi, i always ride with a helmet and would do so even if there was no helmet laws. i just get po'd at the nanny state.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I'll have to give my nod to the best invention of the past century and a half to:
Antibiotics - People forget that even the simplest of injuries and infections were fatal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibacterial
Worst:
Subprime Mortgages - Risky loans given to people with shaky credit histories. When interest rates dipped in 2004, banks began granting mortgages to people who really, really shouldn't have had them. Even worse, many were structured adjustable-rate mortgages, with interest rates that climbed after the first few years. The result was a wave of foreclosures and banks with a lot of bad loans on their books. In short, financial catastrophe.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Best....Vaccines

Worst....those "new" screw in flourescent bulbs that give little light, cost a fortune, and are environmental hazards when broken..... :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.