PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's a list of great traits of corn cob pipes. Please add any I have forgotten.
1. Inexpensive relative to other tobacco pipes

2. Light weight

3. Durable

4. Usually smoke really well

5. When new, are notably flavor neutral

6. Take little break-in

7. Have a rich history and lore

8. Accept modification, alternate stems, etc.
Go on from there ... if you please.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know if any of the Indian nations made tobacco pipes out of corncobs. All of the Native American pipes

I've seen seem to be made out of some sort of wood. But I'd be happy to learn that Indians made the cob pipes

first.
Great trait #9. Cobs make fine giveaway pipes for visitors and houseguests

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Most of the pre-Columbian or Native American pipes I've seen references to were made of clay or stone - specific stone types vary from tribe to tribe. Some of the earliest ones were carved figurines, oriented in such a way that it's obvious that they were meant to be enjoyed by the smoker (as opposed to modern figurals, which are oriented toward onlookers).
#10 Available in different sizes, from 15 minute quick smokers all the way up to the MacArthur style giants.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
+1 on all those traits. It's every pipe smokers duty to have at least one mm cob!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
#11 (my favorite number): Smoked by all the "cool" pipe smokers! LOL
Great list mso489!

Even though cobs have all these fantastic traits, they imbue a humble experience.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
#12: Make great pipes for sampling tobacco blends before dedicating them to your expensive briars.

#13: The perfect pipe for carrying on outdoor excursions.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
14. they don't ghost easily so you don't have to dedicate then to any one type or brand. but even if they did, refer to #1

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Not sure if I agree with number 5 (the infamous "corny" taste) or number 14 (they can ghost as much or as little as briar, depending on what you smoke in them. Or at least that's been my experience).

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've recently come around to trying the cob and picked up a few pipes from MM. I can't agree with the flavor neutral part. I immediately noticed a flavor in mine, something I describe as burnt Corn Pops, that has taken awhile to go away. I do agree that is smokes well and I am glad I tried the cob out.
I also picked up one of the Diplomat Maple Hardwood pipes. That one I absolutely love! It smokes amazingly well and I dig the look and feel of the hardwood. Mine is pretty much dedicated to Ennerdale and Kendall Flake.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I, for one, really enjoy the slight "corny" flavor of the first few bowls.

It actually goes quite well with CH!

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
The "corny flavor" is an interesting aspect of the corn cob pipe. It seems that folks either like it or hate it. I agree with you cobguy that I for one like it and I think it adds to the flavor of the tobacco blends that I smoke in my cob pipes. We're starting to get a lot of feedback from customers who seem to like the "sweetness" that our Old Dominion Indian corn cobs impart and how this "sweetness" actually enhances their smoking experience. As one customer from CA recently commented: "My favorite tobacco is Esoterica's Penzance and my VA planter delivers flavor and enjoyment that I did not think could possibly be improved on." With our heirloom Indian corn cobs, I think part of this can be attributed to a higher natural sugar content than found in modern hybrid corn. I know that the kernels from this corn that is ground by Pungo Creek Mills into cornmeal has a much sweeter flavor than modern ground yellow corn due to this higher natural sugar content. It would stand to reason that some of this higher sugar content is found within the cobs as well.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Awesome post, I smoke at least one cob if not three cobs a day. Love them.... Don't really need to worry about them so much. At least the MM cobs, that's all i have tried

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
17. The stem doesn't quite enter the very bottom of the bowl, this collects moisture at the bottom that nearly never enters the stem. Making for a cooler smoother smoke than any briar I own.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
18) New cobs emit a wonderful sweet smell during the first few smokes. I love that.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I like the list!... I guess I would add.... Makes me feel like an old time smoker. Brings me back to the good ol days.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I find cobs great workhorses. About 18 months ago I bought a half-dozen Patriots; last December 10 Diplomats. I find them great for short smokes, and inexpensive as they are, a great way to boost the number of available pipes.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Cobs are great for backpacking or camping. Easy to clinch. Also, they fit right into your pack and not have to worry about them breaking. If they do break you've probably got a few more lying around (if you don't, you should).

Status
Not open for further replies.