PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Just returned from buying tobacco at one of the most traditional of tobacconists left in London. James J. Fox is in St James's in central London and has a nice array of British/Irish pipes as well a vast assortment of accoutrement! I was after some new tobacco and having only smoked aromatics wanted a non- aromatic amongst other things.
They have a nice humidor full of tins of all the tobacco they sell open for a sniff! The staff were so knowledgable and patient with this newbie pipe smoker and I now have some Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture to try as well as some American delight that took my fancy too. I stopped myself from buying another pipe this month but will return I'm sure.
If you are a local or visiting London - check this out for a very traditional experience!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been to London on two occasions, one as part of a trip to England and Scotland, and another time just to spend time in London itself. I wish I'd found James J. Fox. It sounds terrific. London has such a great aura, and you could live there for a lifetime and still be discovering new places and neighborhoods. I like the feel of the place, huge but much of it walkable. I expected the Brits to be stuffy, but mostly they seem comfortable and almost folksy in their way. Try climbing to the topmost balcony of St. Paul's dome, if you don't have trouble with heights or can manage them.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've not been to the London shop but have ordered from the Dublin store and the service is fantastic. I got my order 5 days after placing it. I order plugs from them and am very happy with the experience.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There website is bereft of any mention of pipes! Still worth a visit but do they have a real assortment of pipes or pipe tobacco?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The store is a couple of minute walk from the hotel I stay in when in London. As mentioned before it has a great collection of "Churchill" tobacco memorabilia and a sister store just down the block. I only wish I'd started with the company years ago when the pipe was at its zenith. Today, they are more oriented to cigars. Still stock a nice selection of blends though.
Stroll, a couple of minutes, to "St. James Market" and you can purchase one of the best pipes available from the carver, John Marshall. He is "Melville" pipes.
Then, nicely banked pipe in mouth, stroll over to "St. James Park" and enjoy the "birds." Both types gentlemen! I've usually been lucky enough to enjoy sunshine during my stays.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hmmm. Recently booked a few nights a Duke's I did; St. James is one of my favorite areas of London.
Are the Marshalls - or a Marshall—at St. James Market daily during the week? Or?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Duke's is my hotel of choice! Right in the heart of Westminster.
I do not remember exactly his open days. I think his stall is open Tuesday through Saturday. He's a nice guy.. If not too busy he likes to talk about his craft and all sorts of London pipe history. He also has a key for the facilities. As a note, the facilities are not for public use. At my age, having John as a an acquaintance is important.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, gents. The link above is right on, and now I see the link on their main or cigar page.
I am thinking I will take with me a half pound or so of tobacco- any problem with UK customs or other official body?

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
You are allowed 250 grams of tobacco (5 standard round tins) if you are travelling from outside the EU (just over 1/2 a pound) but no other tobacco products in addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.