PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timm2

Lurker
Aug 5, 2012
Hi All,
Just joined and am pretty excited!
Hope you all can help me, I'm new to this. Grandpa used to smoke pipes and boy did it always smell GREAT!
My question is: Are there any tobacco's out there that don't have nicotine and all the other harmful ingredients?

(Just a great smelling and tasting tobacco)
Thanks

Tim

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Welcome timm2. Most tobacco has a little bit of nicotine. Some more than others. Most quality pipe tobacco doesn't have near the non-tobacco carcinogenic ingredients that cigs have.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
This is a VERY simplified explanation, but virtually every blend uses either Burley or Virginia tobacco as a base (or a combination). These are opposites of each other. Burley smokes cool but is very high in nicotine, low in natural sugars and is mostly tasteless. Virginia burns much hotter due to the high amount of natural sugars, has much more flavor than Burley and has little or no nicotine.
Cheap drug store blends also use preservatives and other chemicals to preserve shelf life.
Experiment, but like wine, spirits or food, buy the best quality you can afford.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
What bigvan said. As long as you buy quality natural pipe tobacco, you minimize the risk of carcinogens and adjuncts. Certain blends have very little nicotine others will send you for a ride!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Actually Uber, Per Jensen of MacBaren told me personally that blends like MB Vanilla Cream are "virtually nicotine free". We may quibble the meaning of "virtually" but I'll defer to Per.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
You know nicotine is not actually harmful right? And it is in very low quantities in most tobaccos, I have only ever felt a nic hit once from the pipe (from Haddos Delight) but have not felt it since. Pipe tobacco is far more pure than cigs, just look into the quality brands like GL Pease and Cornell and Diehl which do not use chemical additives.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
My two favorites that fit your description are Reiner's Professional and Dan Tobacco's DaVinci. Both taste great and smell great. If they have nicotine, it's not detectable to me.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I was a hard core cig smoker and ever since I dropped the nails and picked up the pipe I have noticed I wasn't addicted to the nicotine, it was the chemicals and the oral fixation. Most good quality tobacco has little or no chemicals. I still have the oral fixation but can go much further between smokes.
As far as what's out there...a lot of differnt blends. My best suggestion is try them all, and not just one bowl, give it 3-6 bowls so you can make up your mind. Also try the tobacco in different pipes as the same tobacco will taste different in different pipes.
Contact pipesandcigars.com call them and they will set you up with a nice sampler. Variety. I always say its better to try and not like than to not try and never know.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
+ 1 to bigvan's first post. And MacB's Vanilla Creme is a nice aro.
Also +1 to tokerpipe's suggestion of a sample from a good e-tailer.
Enjoy your explorations. :puffy:

timm2

Lurker
Aug 5, 2012
Great! thanks friends. will look into what was suggested. Also, any other suggestions are welcome (Great smelling Great tasting with lowest amount of Nicotine and no chemicals.)

unfinished

Lurker
Aug 7, 2012
Turkish/Oriental tobacco have the least nicotine(and some cigar leaf depending on curing process used). Try making flavoured cavendish with oriental tobacco. The end result is a flavoured double fermented tobacco, because cavendish is a form of fermenting itself. Or you can be lazy by simply mixing the tobacco with flavours.
If you like chocolate, add coco powder. If you like vanilla, add vanilla beans. If you like fruits, add dried fruits, etc. It's hard to find 100% turkish/oriental tobacco becauses it's so light in flavour, most people don't find it satisfying. The good thing about them is, they has the least harmful toxic emissions.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Stay away from cheap tobacco...Borkum Riff is pretty bad...

I've noticed that all drugstore blends that are flavored, to me, are pretty nasty...execpt for capt. Black, while they mght smell good, they have a lot of the propyl gycol (spelling?)

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Most likely you're remembering your Grandpa smoking one of the aromatic blends of old. While many of those blends may still be available, I'd recommend trying some blends from Uhles.com, Boswellpipes.com, Milantobacco.com, and/or Vtpipes.com. Any of the aromatics from these tobacconists should fit the bill - great smelling, mild without tons of nicotine, and generally quite tasty.

Look at their websites and see what sounds good. All of these fine tobacconists for the most part mix their blends themselves from very high quality tobaccos. In my own experience, any of the blends I've tried from them are all great.

Part of the fun is in the search for what you personally enjoy, regardless of other opinions!

Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.