PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Today while perusing the custom-blended pipe-tobacco offerings on the Website of Pipeworks and Wilke (Pipeworks and Wilke Pipe Shop) I was surprised to see that Wilke Nut Brown Burley was again listed! The reason for my surprise was that in an e-mail message dated May 24, 2014 Ms. Carole Burns, Pipeworks and Wilke's proprietress, informed me that, "...it is gone and will not be back."
Just to make certain that its inclusion in the current list was not an inadvertent typographical error I then contacted Ms. Burns via e-mail and she responded, confirming that it is indeed back. She describes it as, "A distinctive blend of aged cube cut Burley . An old fashioned slow burning tobacco with a naturally pleasant aroma, and no added sweeteners."
Pipestud had this to say in his review of Wilke Nut Brown Burley on tobaccoreviews.com:

"Now here's a Burley I have not thought about in quite some time. I purchased a half pound of the stuff perhaps 2-3 years ago and smoked a bunch of it and shared it with my pipe club. We all agreed that this is the Rolls Royce of bulk Burleys!
"If you enjoy a good Burley every now and then (and I certainly do), but seldom sample new stuff because you don't like that bitter Burley finish (and I certainly don't), then punch this ticket. You might detect the smidgen of Virginia & Turkish leaf tossed in if you try hard, but frankly, this is overwhelmingly top shelf Burley!
"Pipeworks & Wilke's most famous blend, Nut Brown Burley is cool, slow burning, and projects to the smoker a crisp, all tobacco taste. Best of all, it is sweet and nutty right down to the bottom of the bowl. (Unless, of course, you are smoking a cheap pipe. If that's the case, even this delightful weed can't help you)."
As Pipestud, himself, would say, "Give it a go, you Burley-lovers. You can thank me later!"

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's my review. It's really good tobacco:
A burley based blend with a little Virginia, and what appears to be a touch of black cavendish. Notes of earth, lots of nuttiness, a slight hint of maple, a little grassy, and a mild, pleasant molasses sweetness that burns well, evenly, and is delicious to the last ember. You can smell the toastiness of the burley, and certainly taste it. Despite the description, this does have a extremely mild topping, and I know black cavendish when I taste it, so there's a little vanilla here, too. Has little nicotine, and won't bite. Very mild and relaxing, whether you start your day or end your day with it, or smoke it all day! Burns at a moderate pace with few relights, and a cool, clean smooth, consistent flavor to the finish. Leaves a light dampness in the bowl, but no dottle as it will burns to ash. If you see somebody hate this, shoot 'em quickly! They may be invading alien zombies from another planet. ;) Okay okay... you don't have to shoot them. Just let them smoke a bowl of this blend, and they'll go away contented like a Carnation cow.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Glad it's back. Now I'll have to make another order, which I wasn't counting on right now.
Dang, guess I'll just have to. But somebody's got to do it, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.