PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
Was my great great grandpa a pipe smokin' gunslinger?

e2fb424e54aa9a0b41f9da5105cd9965_zps4b89e4cc.jpg

00b6031e046ffafd466973c4e71da7e8_zps0e411f25.jpg

Nope...not as far as I know...just me playing around with some photo filters. :puffy:

I tried to capture the wild-eyed "look" you always see in the old tintypes.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
The pistol is an 1860 Army .44-Cal by Pietta, they've taken a few historical liberties with the design, but it's a decent little shooter for being a less expensive replica.

For the tintype look, app I used to get the effect is called "Vintage Scene" it does a pretty great job of getting that look I think.

This is what happens when I get bored haha!

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
The first one fooled me completely. That "wild-eyed" look comes from having to hold eyes open for the entire exposure. (I don't know how long, without looking it up, but Bradley ought to remember. :P )

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Ha ha! Pretty good! Here's the real deal, my great grandfather:
convictJoe_zps4681a19c.jpg

Not nearly as "glamorous". Fortunately Grandpa Joe was able to pull his life together after this and become a decent husband, dad and grandfather!
Ten years later:
JosephLillianandJohnnie1911_zps47a78546.jpg

He never smoked, but the little kid in his arms (my Grandpa Johnny) eventually smoked pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Kind of an interpretation of the old photos, just after the tintype era. In some of the actual photos, I am

fascinated at how many/most farmers, particularly land owners I think, dressed in jacket and tie. I believe

this was to denote their higher status in owning their farmland, and also to fulfill the status of gentlemen.

It seems odd wear for doing farm work, or for hunting, but they seemed to consider it only proper. My

grandfathers weren't farmers, though one grew up on a farm, but they both invariably wore suit and tie

nearly all the time, at home casual, and always for meals. I think one was born in the 1880's, and the

other the late 1890's, just for context. In many of the 1800's photos, people have very grim expressions in

repose; I surmise this is because so many people lost so many children in childhood, which aged them,

and also because good dental care was so scarce and they were often in pain.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Most of my ancestors were farmers, miners or laborers. When the photographer made his rounds back in the day it was a big deal. They dressed up in their Sunday clothes and struck a pose.
Here's an image of one of my wife's ancestors, Issac McNatt, an Ohio farmer who took up arms to save the Union. He died from injuries received in battle but not before fathering six daughters.
issacmcnatt_zps2da06650.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
Grandpa Peck was a bit of an odd character, with an unusual physical deformity that made it strikingly difficult to smoke a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.