PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have to give credit to @igloo for this one - he posted it in another thread, but I thought it deserved it's own.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=qqqDy78DqNY
Interesting techniques displayed in this commercial - both loading of the pipe and lighting. The pipe smoker just shoves the tobacco in. The lighting of his pipe also caught my attention - if this is how most folks lit their pipes it's no wonder so many bowls from another era have charred rims.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I cannot get the video to display in my original thread. If a mod can help, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Hey Six, there's a slew of old pipe tobacco commercials on youtube that show guys filling their pipe in exactly the same manner. I'm wondering if that's how they all did it back then? I'm also pretty sure, according to my Grandfather, that people didn't necessarily collect pipes back then, they just used them as tools.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I love the way they just light the old Zippo and let the flame lick the rim, bowl, fingers, everything.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Hey Six, there's a slew of old pipe tobacco commercials on youtube that show guys filling their pipe in exactly the same manner. I'm wondering if that's how they all did it back then? I'm also pretty sure, according to my Grandfather, that people didn't necessarily collect pipes back then, they just used them as tools.
I think you're right. I am sure many people cherished a fine pipe and took extra care with it, but I'd bet that the average Joe saw it as a tool to puff on tobacco.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Interesting techniques displayed in this commercial - both loading of the pipe and lighting. The pipe smoker just shoves the tobacco in.
That's how I do it,except I do use a pipe lighter! Don't have to fiddle with it,just shove it in there and enjoy!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
So as long as this has been brought up? (Not to hijack this thread)... But is PA and CBW comparable? I've seen more PA available than CBW where I live in Seattle. Very cool commercial....

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Nope Zonomo, PA and Carter Hall are comparable in that they are OTC burleys. CBW is a very aromatic vanilla type OTC, PA is an old school American Burley. I happen to like it however, but its definitely nothing like CBW.

Status
Not open for further replies.