PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
At some point today I got grease all over my gloves. This inevitably meant that I got it all over my pipe. I've wiped it down with rubbing alcohol and a dry paper towel but the damn stuff won't come all the way off. Any suggestions? (Aside from learning from my mistakes and smoking cobs exclusively at work.)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
NOTHING on earth will ever in any way shape or form make a Lakeland blend taste better! lol

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
A solvent might do it, but I wouldn't smoke a pipe after being sprayed/wiped with solvent. Brake cleaner seems to evaporate quickly without leaving behind too much smell, but if you have seen what it does to insects, I'm sure it is not good for you.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Rub more grease onto it, to get a nice even finish, buy a bag of smokeable seconds from MM, and lesson learned. I've ruined a few pipes over the years, recently found the cobs, and damn, there is no reason to put an expensive or favorite pipe at risk. Seriously though, there should be something to get that stuff off your pipe-- was it a blasted finish?

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
In doing some research I came across this tidbit about clothing..."Don't know about the oil- but with marine grease you cut it out and sew up the hole"

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
If there is no varnish/finish on it, take the stem off, and soak the thing in Everclear-- it should dissolve the grease. Alcohol is a solvent, should take it out of the wood.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
In the UK we had something called 'Swarfeeger' which was either pink or green and my Father used it when he stripped my Brough down at the end of the season. It seemed to just eat oil and grease.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm thinking if you soak some cotton balls in heavy duty degreaser, something like grease-off, then try scrubbing at the pipe with that it might help. The saturated cotton ball should conform to the rustication. It may take a bit, but it should come off. Then do the same with everclear to remove any leftover degreaser.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
IMHO, the best for getting grease off the bowl is Baby Shampoo. Neutral pH, minimal phosphates and a reasonable scent. You will have to put several coats of cannuaba wax on it to bring it back to its lustrous beginnings. That's assuming that it does not have a varnished finish to begin with. OK, now the punch line: But you will have to contend with smoking your pipe with the idea of a baby's butt in your mind!

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I would clean the heck out of it, then polish the heck out of it with black shoe polish. No, I'm not joking. It works very well. If I'm shining up my wife and my leather shoes, I'll usually do up my pipes at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.