PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Does anyone else have a grapefruit juice craving? I know you have to be careful with some pharmaceuticals and grapefruit juice. I don't think this applies to either of two I take. But when I buy a bottle of the stuff, I seem to have more than a moderate liking for it. I've heard of people eating clay to supplement nutritional deficiencies. Anyone heard of this with grapefruit juice? There used to be a cocktail with grapefruit juice and vodka in a cylindrical glass with salt on the rim like a Margarita called a Salty Dog, back in the 1970's, I got from time to time, but realized it wasn't the vodka but the juice I liked. I like many foods and beverages, but this has the feel of a sort of need. Anyone else? Any ideas on why? The juice I get is labeled "no added sugar" and "not from concentrate." I get a liter and pound it back in a day or two.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've never cared much for grapefruit juice, vodka or not.

I've found Esoterica Peacehaven to have a sugared grapefruit flavor though..maybe try some of that lol..

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
In New Zealand we have the most beautiful grapefruits that are huge and full of juice, I have a childhood full of winter mornings running barefoot outside in the frosty wet grass to grab the ones that had fallen off the tree overnight to squeeze for breakfast, thankfully we had a couple of prolific trees since I am from a family of eight...

I can enjoy grapefruit juice from the bottle, and have even experienced a similar craving for it occasionally but it will never come even close to competing with the taste of mid-winter, just fallen off the tree, freshly squeezed, New Zealand grapefruit juice! Citrus in general is something my heart yearns for when I am away from home, like this 3 year stint in Canada right now...and now a haiku (before things turn sour)
round soft and sour

a vessel of juice and pulp

very appealing

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Interesting. I crave a bunch of different foods, though, not often. Tonight I had a serious craving for red meat. Usually it is fresh fruit or chocolate. Fresh squeezed lemonade is as close as I get to grapefruit. There is something called selective hunger, I think, that has been studied in animals that helps them get nutrients they need. They'll crave whatever will satisfy their nutritional deficit. Since we are animals, I don't see why we wouldn't have it as well. There are a bunch of meds that cannot be taken with grapefruit juice. It causes higher than normal drug absorption. I have to steer clear of it when taking my meds. Thankfully, it isn't all the time these days.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Love Grapefruit, and its juice. I crave it quite often. A haiku, because I have had a touch of the homesickness as well.
Sun beads off ripe orb

A citrus that tastes like home

Peels left on the grass.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Orange, grapefruit, cranberry, pineapple, lemon, in about that order, are favorites. Don't get a real craving for them, though.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I don't mind grapefruit juice mixed with orange juice, but I can't drink it on it's own. I don't eat grapefruit either.
I also like orange and pineapple juice, orange and mango, and orange and carrot juice.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I don't really care for the taste of grapefruits. Lucky for me! Grapefruits increase estrogen levels as it decreases your testosterone. If you are a guy, that's probably one of the last things you want going on in your life.

But, occasionally as a treat it's probably ok.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Like grapefruit, but it's a no go because of my heart meds.

Apple juice is my favourite, especially when it turns into cider.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I never heard of grapefruit juice being an tos suppressant, though I've heard that about licorice. Cold showers used to be considered "helpful" in that regard and never helped a bit.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
I know if you're on a statin to lower cholesterol, you should not be drinking grapefruit juice. The enzymes in the juice block the drugs in the medicine. I do miss grapefruit juice.
http://www.rxlist.com/statins_and_grapefruit_juice/drugs-condition.htm

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I've heard of people eating clay to supplement nutritional deficiencies."
When we kept cows and they were out in the fields we would give them a huge 'cow lick cake' which was essentially a large (and very heavy) and very solid slab of minerals which the cows licked at from time to time to give them the natural minerals essential to their well-being so it comes as no surprise to me to hear of folks eating clay...though to be honest I don't think that I could.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In the middle west of America, you'd often see a white block out in the field and it was called a salt lick. What other minerals it contained I don't know.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I've got the grapefruit juice "thing" bad. If I pick some up with the groceries, I have to pop it open for a glass before it ever makes it to the fridge. I get cravings for fruit in general, and grapefruit in particular. Few things brighten up my morning like half a grapefruit at the breakfast table.

Status
Not open for further replies.