PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Anyone out there ever heard of pipes by a "Granny Goodwitch?"
I stumbled upon an Etsy store selling four unsmoked, NOS (new old stock) pipes from a company by this name. The store sells other antique goods so pipes may not be their specialty. Anyway, all four are cheap but have discolored stems (strange for them being unsmoked), and some come with this intriguing (but questionable) speculative disclaimer: "Pipe was likely originally part of Mid Century pipe display." Not sure how the seller might know that. Something about these is slightly intriguing... maybe the hope that a naive antique peddler might possibly be unknowingly selling some gems for a steal. Any thoughts?
Pictures of the four pipes, with links to their listings. Feel free to jump on any of them if you want to take a gamble on their quality.
Listing #1, $28:

il_fullxfull.890538092_3x3b.jpg

Listing #2, $32:

il_fullxfull.888817104_tsca.jpg

Listing #3
, $34:

il_fullxfull.889708785_g1dg.jpg

Listing #4, $42:

il_fullxfull.888880630_b6ub.jpg

Don't judge me for being thrifty. :nana:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've never heard of the brand. The top pipe says Made In Franca and Algerian Briar, which is the king of briars as far as many are concerned. I think the seller may not have a clear definition of NOS.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Oops, I just realized that the top one isn't Granny Goodwitch, but the other three are.
What do you make of the discolored stems if these claim to be unsmoked? Does that come normally with age even without use? And I agree that "NOS" may mean something different to this seller. Hard to tell without asking and risking sounding patronizing.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Leave a vulcanite stem in the sunlight and it will oxidize quickly. Might not have been in someone's mouth and can still can look like that.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Not high quality pipes but a pretty good buy for unsmoked at those prices. For somebody looking to add to their collection it wouldn't be a bad deal at all. There's some junk on Ebay they're asking a lot more for.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I am far from an expert, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Danish freehand look of that last pipe seems to suggest that these were made quite a while after "mid-century," probably the '70s at the earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.