PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
I am wanting to try another OTC burley and had my eye on this brand. I have tried Carter Hall and really like that. I have also tried Prince Albert and Half and Half and didn't like either one of those. Is Granger more along the lines of Carter Hall?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Granger is one of those blends you load up and don't have to pay any attention to. Nothing especially good or bad.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Granger has been around for about one hundred years, so you know someone must like it.

I plead guilty. I also like Dunhill My Mixture 965, Nat Sherman 536, Nightcap, and Triple Play,

among others. Granger is entirely burley, so you have to like that; some people actively dislike

burley, and others can't taste it. I find Granger has a nutty taste, with sometimes grassy (no, not pot)

overtones. It's mild but flavorful to me. Disclaimer: My father chain smoked Granger during my

childhood, so it is a familiar and pleasant room note to me.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Best smoked in a cob. You can get 2oz from 4noggins if you don't want to commit to a whole can

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
If the above comments did not spur you to buy Granger, I would go ahead and buy some. The prices I am seeing tell me it is likely to go the way of Kentucky Club and Sugar Barrel...

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I don't dislike Granger at all. It's just another all day smoke to me, but I have way too many other blends open to want to open a new tub for quite awhile. :roll: 8)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think Granger, even in its current incarnation, has a subtle and unique flavor, for those who enjoy

it. What has somewhat edged it to the side of the pipe rack these days are the incredible selections

of burley blends, notably from Cornell & Diehl, that have taken non-aromatic burley to a whole new

level of interest and sophistication, and the surprise from overseas of Tabac Manil Semois, a burley

variant, which smokes like a subtle English blend to me. I get bit just a little by Granger. I maintain

a remaining half can and enjoy it from time to time. But it has been upstaged, I admit.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
mso489, Thanks for pointing us towards some newer non-aromatic burleys. I enjoy a good burley, and the chance to try some blends a little further up market is tempting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
buroak, take a look at C&D, both tinned and bulk. Almost any of their non-aro burley blends are worth

trying. Some I have enjoyed include Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd, Big 'n Burley, Pegasus, Epiphany, and

Dark Burley. I think Dark Burley is thought of as a blending tobacco, but it is surprisingly good by itself.

I'm aging some Riverboat Gambler and suspect that will be tasty. I just ordered some of their Burley Flake

#1 in a tin. I can't promise you'll like every one, but mostly I have. C&D has elevated that old burley leaf

to an art. G.L. Pease has some nice ones too, Triple Play for starters, in plug.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Having a bowl of Granger now. Forgot I had jarred up a open tub of it. No bite at all, but it's a basic smoke, no complexity if you are wanting that. 8)

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Granger has a foul chemical taste to me...possibly from PG.
Although discontinued Edgeworth ReadyRub is a great burley OTC that you may like...should you be willing to go out on a search for it. There's still tubs of it out there (including quite a few in my cellar stash...next to HOW's Revelation)

Oct 12, 2014
Count me as a Granger fan. Its got a unique flavor amongst the OTC's that sets it apart. I dont get the oft reported "burnt plastic" taste at all.
I've got a sealed 14oz can, not the new 12oz, that is puffed up on the top seal that I can't wait to open. I first need to clear out the remaining open OTC's I have floating around before I crack it.
Count me as a Velvet fan as well. Nice smooth easy going smoke. Good stuff! I will most likely grab a tub of that pretty soon here as well before it goes out of print..

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have to get by on the Edgeworth and Revelation "matches". Are they close to the originals?
I like Velvet, too. I have been buying it by the pouch, but melvinsunsmoke may be right about picking up a tub while they are still around.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
"Melvinsunsmoke may be right about picking up a tub while they are still around"
This is the reason for all my purchases and stocking up on everything that strikes my fancy. (insert slurs on 'fancy') 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.