PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I can't really find any reviews for this tobacco. Its mentioned here and there when people are chatting about OTC's, and I found one decent review on youtube, but thats it. I will probably eventually give it a try, if its something like Half and Half I'm sure I'll like it. What I'm gathering is its a simple OTC burley like the rest of them.
Does anyone have anything more specific to say about it? I'm trying to decide if and when I might order this or if its worth it and if I should stick with the others (I have limited funds for tobacco till the end of the year while its still affordable)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
loseth, I'm something of a fan of Granger because my dad smoked it much of his life (1917 to 2006).

I've heard all the back-and-forth. Some people find it a good old codger OTC and enjoy the simplicity

of the Burley. Criticism includes complaints about the dressing, presumably the mysterious Wellman's

Process that is longstanding with Granger. Some people can't taste Burley and therefore don't like it.

I find it a reasonable if rather mild, toasty taste. The dressing makes Granger an aromatic, but I don't

get that much of the taste from dressing. I would suggest you try a pouch rather than a can, if possible. You

may prefer an even less adorned Burley; I think that might be Lane's Burley Without A Bite, or a similar

Burley. I find that tasty by itself or as a blending tobacco, with Va, Cavendish, maybe a bit of Lat or

Perique. Granger is a pleasing old blend to me, mostly just Burley. I enjoy it, though many don't.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A retired doctor moved into a cottage beside my parents cottage. He's a pipe smoker and told me he's always smoked Granger. Do you think he might enjoy a little Boswells Premium Blended Burley?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
4noggins sells Granger by the ounce, as well as other OTC's. It is a good place to start instead of buying a tub. Nothing says "sucks" like having a tub of tobacco you don't like and can't give away.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I bought a can of it when I first started out. Still got 3 8oz jars of it. It's not bad. Been lookin to revisit it this summer. Can't really make any more comments on it except that I enjoyed the smell, but was probably smoking it wrong, so it didn't taste great.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
murf, I've had it happen both ways. Sometimes you'll start off on the wrong foot with a blend and it gets way

better. Sometimes, it's just not your thing and you may as well move on. Granger is pretty basic Burley,

despite being aromatic on the technicality of having some dressing, Wellman's Process, whatever that is.

Maybe a friend could give you a bowl or two of other unadorned Burley, to see if you like it at all. It seems

like about half pipes smokers really don't; I think many don't get much taste. For the rest of us, it's pleasant,

if mild, kind of toasty-nutty tasting, but subtle. See what happens, but if it isn't tasty, move on. Too much

good tobacco out there to be wringing too-little flavor from a tobacco you can't taste or don't like. I think

I have about 25 tobaccos on hand, mostly in small quantities, and every time I visit Forums someone is

recommending several new ones. There's plenty of nifty stuff to try.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I enjoy smoking burley, and now you guys have piqued my interest again. Darn. It's been ages since I last smoked Granger and can't even recall the flavor. You guys are evil. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.