PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My youngest grandchild was home for a summer. He asked what you gonna teach me PawPaw, I said first you got to learn to pee off the porch, but you got to wait till one of the cats is there. Then I gave him a new mini cob and showed him how to pretend smoke. He never hit the cat but became quite good at peeing off the porch. He went home after 3 weeks, drove my big tractor, handled the Zero turn quite good. Got an irate call from my Daughter, seems when the boy was dropped off from school, he dug in his backpack and got out the mini cob, no porch to pee off of but I had told him a tree is just as good. His home in their subdivision has a water oak in front and neighbors saw him with a cob clenched and whizzing, told her I"m practicing to be like PawPaw. :laughat:

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Great story! I miss my grandfather and wish I spent much more time with him. A consummate Gentleman in every word. A fairly simple man who loved the small town he lived all his life except for the two years he spent in Italy while stationed around Anzio. He was a Master Sargent for the 42nd Thunderbirds an all Native Amercan Artillery unit where he was the only white NCO. In many ways he taught me a majority of what honor and respect was and how to treat others whether they deserved it or not. RIP Norman A..

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
The only grandpa I knew was on my fathers side, and he was great in my eyes. He taught me to make smoke bombs with black powder, make a whistle with a twig, and make funny sounds with a big flat blade of grass between my thumbs. He was a commercial artist/illustrator that was retired, and grew rhubarb, tomatoes, and pole beans in his small garden in the city. He always wore a beret, smoked Chesterfields and unfortunately died 60 years ago when I was eight years old. My parents thought he was not the best influence on me. I really miss him.

You sound like a great paw paw to me Bradley....

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
:rofl: Well done! These are all important things for a young lad to learn.

No grandkids yet but when I do oh the fun we will have! :puffy:

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Bradley, great story. lol Now you need to teach him how to hit on the ladies. Give him a few of your best lines from back in the day.

Somehow "Twenty three skidoo." just doesn't do it with the modern broads. :nana:

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
You got caught, Bradley! Great story.
"In many ways he taught me a majority of what honor and respect was and how to treat others whether they deserved it or not."
Great story as well, crusader! I was raised by mine & miss them both very much. My grandpa had a natural understanding of animals both wild & domesticated and I think they did of him as well. He used to say that you judge the character and the measure of a man by the way he treats his animals. At a young age I wanted to grow up to be a DVM & specialize in the care of wild & large domesticated animals, but life intervened with other priorities.
Let's all hope we don't let our grandsons & granddaughters down whenever our time comes.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Teach 'em well!"
This 18 yr old obviously didn't have anyone to teach him about animals:
http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/04/22/florida-man-tries-kiss-cottonmouth-snake-hospitalized-bite/

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
My step-grandfather smoked a pipe almost incessantly Mixture 79, if I recall correctly. He was a gentle man, always kind to me, and tolerant of my foolishness shared by all twenty somethings. But unfortunately, his adult step-children were very critical of him and never accepted with any grace that their mother, a widow had remarried.
They are at least partially responsible for driving him to his grave. He killed himself and I've never looked at my paternal aunts with the same affection I once had for them, God rest most of their souls.
I'd like to share a pipe with the Cajuan, if circumstances ever permit. Meantime, I will take the best pleasure I can from his postings.
Pax

Status
Not open for further replies.