PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainian

Might Stick Around
Dec 21, 2013
my grandpa smokes pipe since. ever and once i was admiring his pipe racks and noticed a couple of pipes had still burnt tobacco in the bowls and i asked him about it, he told me when he smokes his pipe he leaves it like that until his next smoke where he cleans it and smokes it he claims that this adds taste to the bowl... never tried this with my pipes anyone else does this? any idea if its just a grandpa superstition or an actual meaningful thing?

:?:

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Don't know if it makes the pipe taste different, but it makes the room stink...

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
As an aside, I often wonder about the "sourness" of which folks speak. I happen to really like what my pipes smell like just after smoking them. And, although I can smell my "pipe rack" as I pass it, it is never overpowering.
I do run pipe cleaners through before putting them down for the day, but I am not overly-attentive maintainer.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
captainian:
My personal feeling is that your grandfather's method will not allow moisture to evaporate properly from the bottom of the bowl or the shank. The tobacco is certainly blocking the air hole, meaning that any moisture is just going to sit there. Some will be absorbed by the tobacco remnants, of course, but I think you're still talking about moisture build-up remaining in the shank. He may well enjoy the results. I would not. And I would strongly argue against treating your own pipes this way.
I'm guessing he simply doesn't focus too much on taking care of his pipes. Many many pipe smokers of earlier generations would be in the same boat. I mean, ask him how often he gives his pipes a thorough alcohol cleaning, and I'm guessing you'll get a blank stare. But most of us nowadays believe that that's an important step for guaranteeing a long life and consistently rewarding (not to mention accurate) flavors from a pipe.
Bob

captainian

Might Stick Around
Dec 21, 2013
agreed with Bob... all the older generation smokers seem to believe "the less you fuck with it the better it is" thing witch is not always right..some really reaaaally old pipes of my grandfather had a 'cake' that was atrocious i even wondered how he filled it with tobacco! my uncle also complained that all the pipes my grandpa gave him had a burned rim lol.... he also had this weird paranoia that if you rub vaseline all over the stem it will never oxidize... weird stuff i tell ya!

well he seems happy each time i see him with his ol' wrecked pipes and thats all that matters :puffpipe:

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
The shift key is the key that says "shift" on it. Actually, there are two of them, on either side of your keyboard. They're used to make little letters, big letters.
Appropriate times for using big letters are: At the beginning of sentences, when referring to one's self (I, not i), names, places, titles, etc.
You might also take notice of the use of apostrophes, commas, and periods, in each and every reply to your question.
I only say this because you haven't capitalized a single word or sentence, in all of your 38-39 posts, and there's no excuse for it.

captainian

Might Stick Around
Dec 21, 2013
watch-out-we-got-a-grammar-nazi-over-here.jpg

don't read em if you don't like em (without any capitalization)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Jerod:
Well, he did capitalize my name in the latest post above. And, really, that's all I care about. ;)
Actually, I'm a full-time writer and a former editor and proofreader. But I don't expect everyone else to care as much about getting it right as I do. Heck, I'd be thrilled if most people just got you're and your right. That error is so common, it makes me want to do away with contractions altogether, just so people actually understand what the words are that are being contracted. (The other peeve: "would of" or "should of" instead of "would have" or "should have," which happens because they've heard "would've" or "should've" and don't understand what they're hearing.)
Time for a deep, cleansing breath and another pipe. . . :)
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Captainian:
With all due respect, calling someone a "Nazi" because they are trying to educate someone who is consistently making mistakes just doesn't make sense to me.
Would he be a "pipe Nazi" if he told you not to put lighter fluid on your tobacco before you lit it?
Bob

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Captainian, no offense to you at all, I have no issues reading your post. However I think Jerod was referring to rule 9.
That being said, onto the pipes. I will leave some in there if I'm not done smoking that pipe and it may stay in for a day. After that I dump it out and clean up the pipe and let it set for the next time I grab it. I use to smoke cigars more but leaving a unfinished stogie setting there gave off a wicked bad smell. I have never notice that from my pipe rack. The juices left over in the shank will get really nasty and down the road be hard as the devil to clean out. I have a estate pipe I cleaned and after 30 mins I was still pulling black gunk out on Qtips. Enjoy a bowl and happy nights to ya.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I just read the topic for this post. After reading the posts and its comments I'm so glad this has nothing to do with collecting memorabilia from Grandpa's Bris.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
captainian:
In case you overlooked it, here's a link to the Forum's guidelines. Rule 9 is the one folks are referring to:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/forum-rules-read-before-posting-please-1
Bob

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I'm not sure there's much of an interest in 'memes' on this forum. Aside from that, chill out folks.

captainian

Might Stick Around
Dec 21, 2013
i'm aware i did not break any rule, rule number nine does not say anything about commas, capitalization of sentences e.t.c

end of story i wont discuss it any more.
PS: Jerod i have no interest in arguing on the internet especially in a forum that's meant for a hobby that gives me peace and enjoyment.
happy smokin' folks :puffpipe:

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I never really saw my dad or grandfather clean a pipe. But I am sure they did at some point.

I remember both having pipe cleaners around. I do recall my grandfather using his Barlow pocket

knife to both pack his pipe down using the knife closed, and using the small blade to scrape it

out now and again.
But then again, I don't think my dad or grandfather would refer to their pipe smoking as a "hobby".

I smile when I think of what either of them would say if I could inform them you're suppose to have enough

pipes that you can rest them for a couple days between smokes.

But they have both been gone more than 20 years now.
I guess they could have enjoyed their pipe smoking so much more if they had only known all the things we do now. :wink:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Welcome to the forums Captianian.
Plenty of strange things said so far, but I'm going to comment on the one that caught my eye.
he also had this weird paranoia that if you rub Vaseline all over the stem it will never oxidize... weird stuff i tell ya!

He's not totally wrong. If you never allow oxygen to get to the stem then it won't oxidize. I'm not sure if Vaseline will have any reaction of its own on the vulcanized rubber, but if you can stand the texture of it then it should do its job pretty well.
I look forward to future stories you have to offer the community, but paragraphs, sentence structure, grammar, etc. make the stories easier to read for us. Nobody is perfect, but we must all try our best. Just like we do with pipe-smoking, just like we aspire to do in life.
Happy smoking. ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. In order to maintain the quality of our forum and facilitate communication, it is the policy of PipesMagazine to encourage the use of standard spelling, punctuation and grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.