Grandfather's Pipes, how do I start researching?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nakitathedog

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
My husband's parents (in their 90s) are moving out of the family home. In the process of downsizing, 3 of my dad's grandfather's pipes have been located. I know that some old pipes can be collectible/desirable. If these 3 pipes have some value, I'll try to sell them to help defray costs associated with the in-laws' move.
I'm completely baffled about how to approach this. I know nothing about pipes :)
So my first question: is there a standard place on pipes where the manufacturer might stamp something to ID who made it?
My second question is: how does a person identify what the pipe is made of?
Thanks in advance for any help. This is my first post here, I'm sure I will have other questions.
(and as an aside, for me this is as much about getting collectible/desirable items to people who will appreciate them as it is about the $$$)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome. There are Forums members who could give you a general idea about these pipes, especially if you can post photos and provide all of the information stamped on the pipes. It might be worth your while to have a knowledgable pipe person broker these for you, for a fair commission, since an experienced pipe person would have knowhow on where to offer these, and how to get the most return. The pipes are old enough that they might have some value to collectors. However, I must warn you that even older pipes are not necessarily particularly valuable. If they are Dunhills or another premium name, you might get a few hundred apiece for them, unless they are in some way rare or special. If they are standard factory pipes in somewhat worn condition, they might be worth $20 or $30, or less. So don't be starry eyed. Get photos and information to one of our pipe historian members and see if they can help you. You may want to use the private message function once you have identified a member with expertise.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
nakitathedog, welcome to the forms. Check out the sticky on how to post pictures, or provide a link to your online photo library of choice. I'd love to see the pipes!
The manufacturer, model (usually a number) and country of origin of the pipe would be stamped on the shank, either on the side or bottom, if it is there at all. There also may be a logo on the stem or mouthpiece which is usually on left side or on the top.
Once you get that information you can look it up here: Pipe Logos, then go on ebay and see watch what similar pipes go for.
But MSO489's advice is prime. You will need expert advice if you have some pipes that are really collectible and you want to get top dollar for them.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
All your pipes are worth nothing - Please package them carefully and send straight to me for a good home! :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
nakita, I think you can learn about your pipes and get an accurate appraisal. If they are not valuable enough to sell, you might consider having them spruced up by a pipe repairman and give them to family members as keepsakes and heirlooms. If they are already in acceptable shape, you might give them as-is.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Posting pictures is a must! Even well preserved inexpensive pipes from the 1960's and 70's are in great demand, more so if the pipes are older than that.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Not likely they are worth much of anything, but you never know. Go to pipephil.eu and compare the nomenclature on each pipe to determine what you have. Then go to eBay and do a search for those pipes in the completed section to see if anything like then has sold.
You might sniff around and see if there is a pipe shop and/or pipe club near you. Let them look at it.

nakitathedog

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
Thank you all for the welcome, and the suggestions. I finally got some pictures taken of the one remaining "mystery" pipe that doesn't seem to have any identification. I was able (thanks tuold!!!) to find the make and model on two of them.
beerandbaccy, I'm sure you are correct. Gimme a minute to write down your address :D
As for giving them to family members, no one wants them. My DH rescued these pipes and a couple of razors from the 1000s of pounds of stuff that got hauled to a dumpster. Not going to think about that. Can't think about that. I know that there are many collectors of various things who would have loved the chance to go through allllll the stuff that got tossed. China sets from the 1800s, wedding dresses from a similar period. Alas, gone.
So, based on that (because I'm evil in many ways) the two pipes I have been able to identify are going to the Salvation Army for someone to discover, and treasure (not any great monetary value, and I know the joy of discover will have great meaning to someone) :)
I'll start a thread with the pictures of the other pipe, once I read about how to post pictures.
Thank you ALL again, so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.