PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I finally tracked down some images of my Grandfather smoking a pipe - been wanting to find these pics for a while. My Grandparents were born in Ireland in the late 1800s and both lived into their 90s. I have clear memories visiting with him and my grandmother at their Brownstone Apt in Manhatten back in the 60s. The apt always smelled of pipe smoke and my grandmother always had bottles of 7-Up on hand for us kids.
grandfather1.jpg

grandfather.jpg

And here I am, protecting my mother from a big bad dinosaur at the New York World's Fair, circa 1964-5 - lol!
no6.jpg

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I love old photos ... it's like stepping back in time!
Thanks for sharing!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys - I am really glad to have found these.
Such a brave little fella!
Funny, my vague recollection is that I wanted to get closer and then the dinosaur moved and freaked me out! I also recall getting some plastic dinosaurs as souvenirs and placing them on the dashboard of our car for the ride home. Sadly, the sun melted them by the time we got home and boy was I upset - couldn't believe it - lol!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Love the pictures. I wish someone had thought to take pictures of my grampa sitting in his chair, smoking his pipe . . .

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Cool! I've seen pictures of my great grandfathers smoking pipes but they are all on slides that I can't upload!

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I love these photos. My grandfather passed away in September and I inherited a number of his old pipes earlier in the summer, which I have been cleaning and refurbishing. After he past away my family went through lots of old pictures and many of them had him and a pipe.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great pics...nice to have a pipe smoking legacy in the family. I’m not aware of any pipe smokers in mine during the last couple of generations.
That’s a classy hat you’re sporting there as well Six. You have my sympathies for the melted dinosaurs. I recall the thrill of getting toy dinos at Sinclair gas stations while on trips as a child (was taught the myth of “fossil fuels” in those days).

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys for the comments - glad you liked the pics!
That’s a classy hat you’re sporting there as well Six.
hehe, when I look at the hats in these photos, amazingly each one of them is still in style:
Fedora

Ball cap with flat brim

Porkpie Hat (er, without the feather)
Great pic lincolnsbark - thanks for sharing.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Nice pics guys! My grandfather on my dad's Sid passed before I was born, my grandfather on my mom's side passed a few years ago. It was tough to see him go, but I think of him often with many fond memories.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
  • "The apt always smelled of pipe smoke and my grandmother always had bottles of 7-Up on hand for us kids."
Don't you just love memories like that? They have the power to transcend space and time. Thanks for the pix! :clap:

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
And doesn't your grandfather look like he is enjoying that pipe to the max?? Great pics. Do you know what tobacco he smoked?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love the pix as well. Do you still have that classic hat? (maybe it was a Worlds Fair hat?). Lincolns Grandfather made me smile as well, plaid shorts - check, lets accent with some white socks! Love it!

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Awesome pic six . Wish I had some of my Grandfather smoking a pipe . Only have one pic and unfortunately instead of a pipe he is jsmoking a cigarette . I still cherish the pic , a pipe would have just been a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.