PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Quick story, maybe. My Grandfather, pipe smoker, farmer, all round great man! State built a new house for Grandmother and Grandfather after a state road widening project. First day after they moved into the new dwelling, Grandfather lights up his pipe while sitting on the rocking chair in front of the wood stove. Grandmother reads him the riot act about smoking in her NEW house. Grandfather is in his eighties and doesn't get up tight, he just sits there and listens. When the air cleared from Grandmothers rant and wiping her hands on the flowered apron, meaning she was done. Grandfather said," When the state built this house, did they put in a toilet? Do you use this or go out to the the outhouse?" Grandmother, "Of course there is a toilet inside and what do you think, I use this one." Grandfather, "So, I can take a sh*t in the house, and but you get mad if I smoke here?"

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
In all fairness to your Grandmother, you didn't mention what Grandfather was smoking in his pipe. He could have been smoking Royal Yacht and that's what she found offensive.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Pappy, Grandfather had to smell her shit, but can't smoke his pipe in the house. I'm using that one. :rofl:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My Grandfather told me in Cajun French the reason the world was so screwed up People used to shit outside and cook inside, now they cook outside and shit inside, all said with a straight face. :rofl:

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
My Grandparents on both sides only had out houses until my teenage years. I HATED "chamber pots". I went outside even during the night. The second floor of one house had a woodstove that seldom was used in the Winter. You learned to put your clothes for the morning, in the bed with you. You slept under several layers of home made quilts. My Dad tells about sleeping in that room and waking up sometimes with frost on the blankets.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
tbradsim1 - Old cajuns are smart. My dad was raised on the bayous - Sorrel, Pigeon and most of the areas where the Swamp People hunt gators. Our family at one time owned over 250 acres of swamp land somewhere between Grosse Tete and Gibson that was basically stolen from them by Sun Oil. Anyway, there may have been some uneducated old Cajuns (my dad left school after the second grade to work and help support the family after his father died) but I've never met any dumb ones.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You got that right Pappy, we used to irrigate our rice fields by paying Louisiana Land company 1/6 of Production of rice, they built levees all through the S W La and bought land rights, set up pumping stations and made boo coup money. Well my Grandfather didn't sell his land he let them use 1/2 mile of it to build a levee. That was in late 40s early 50s in the 80s they ceased irrigation and started selling their land, at the same time they laid a pipeline alongside the levee, while building the pipeline , they were almost through, my Grandfather went talked to the Supertendant, they had to get an interpreter , Grandpaw says I own this land, Super says, No Louisiana Land owns it. Grandpaw produces a legal document written in French. Interpreter reads, tells Super, he's the owner. Super says gotta call the office. Grandpaw goes to house, late that evening Big car pulls up in his yard. They knock, Grandmaw starts making coffee. Conversation, is heated, they leave. He tells Grandmaw we gonna get 100,000$, she says ta fou, you're crazy. 3 weeks later they give him a check for 100,000$, he was a Cajun Hero in Vermilion Parish, he foogabooed the Americans, that's what they call non Cajuns. He didn't talk English, couldn't read or write, but man he was a fox.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
@pappymac, he smoked Half & Half and Prince Albert. Every Christmas Grandfather would receive a couple one pound cans of this tobacco. The cost would be around $8.00.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
pappymac & Bradley, GREAT stories. I love to hear the history re: different parts of America.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
brad's Grandpaw was on it. Had he litigated, the pipeline project would have been stalled for years, so it was in their interest to settle up fast. Tres bien.

Status
Not open for further replies.