PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I have been married now for 25 years and my Grandfather in-law was a pipe smoker. He had quit before I ever came into the family but when family members would see my pipes they would always say "Hey Papa used to smoke a pipe". Well my Grandfather in-law passed away last year and this year my Grandmother in-law decided to sell their house and move closer to my Mother in-law. Well long story short as they were cleaning out their house they found three of Kenneth's pipes. My mother in-law brought them to me over the Thanksgiving Holiday. She told me they were nothing expensive or fancy but I told her that didn't matter, they were Kenneth's. Enough said. He was a WWII Navy veteran and I loved him dearly . Just the fact to get some of his pipes after all these years is awesome. They also brought me the ashtray in the first pic. There is a Kaywoodie apple, an Apollo brylon and a Greenwich Rusticated pot. I explained to them that although I love them all , that my pipe of choice and what I collect the most is Kaywoodies so that was just icing on the cake. Here are a few quick pics. As my mother in-law stated nothing fancy or expensive and not much to look at for you folks but like winning the lottery for me.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Best part is the family history behind those pipes. The reason I ever got into pipe smoking was to remember my grandfather.
Enjoy your pipes and smoke them in good health.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
The family knows you genuinely appreciate the pipes and they have found a good home. You have a beautiful connection to a family member you honor each time to look at, touch or perhaps smoke them. Let us know if you restore them a bit and smoke them.
Do you know what his favorite pipe tobacco was? It may be another way to keep the family tradition alive and honored.
Congrats on winning your own personal lottery and for sharing your story.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
My family lost my Grandfathers pipes and I think about how cool that would have been to have them gifted to me. Great job by the family and I am sure you will cherish those for years to come.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Yes, put those in a special place.
My grandfather wasn't interesting in spending a lot of money on his pipes. I'm sure he just grabbed one off a display card when he picked up his tobacco at the drug store every now and then.
That Kaywoodie is a nice pipe. You might want to do a minor refurb on that one and smoke it on a special day as a memorial.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
What a fine tribute to your grandfather-in-law for you to inherit, use, and (most importantly) appreciate his pipes and the part which they played in making him the man that he was.
Both of my grandfathers were pipe-smokers. I never knew my maternal one, as he passed well before I was born. However, I do have one of his pipes, and I cherish (and smoke) it. My paternal grandfather passed when I was 11, and his pipes were simply thrown away. What I would give to have just one of them!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Handsome burners that appear to be well maintained. It may be hard to see from your perspective,

since you are so glad to have them, but the family is incredibly lucky to have someone in the family

circle who knows these pipes, wants them, and will fully appreciate them. From personal experience,

I can tell you, it is often difficult and time consuming to find appropriate homes for well-loved possessions

of departed family members. When I have done so, I felt like I had won the lottery.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
some times personal value is more important then actual monetary value. Keep them and smoke them in honer of this great man you have told us about.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Thank you kindly gents for the kind comments. As to what tobacco he smoked no one could remember a specific brand. My Grandmother in-law thought maybe Briggs or Revelation when loking at my collection of tins but later thought maybe PA and SWR based on smell. Anyone I will get them cleaned up and take them down memory lane with some PA, SWR and Carter Hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.