PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bparks60

Lurker
Jul 25, 2015
Texas
Hi everyone, My grandad recently died and I inherited several of his pipes. I can't remember a time he didn't have a pipe with him. I miss the smell and would like to try my hand at smoking some of his pipes. I have a few questions about them. I'd appreciate the help!
Can they be fixed?

How do I take care of them?

What do I need to do before I try and smoke them?

Can you tell me anything about them?
Thanks!
#1 This is the one I remember the most. No visible markings. Had duck tape around it and is loose

#2 says "Porto Cervo" and "114 KS Italy" has tape around it.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
Those appear to all be quality pipes. The Savinelli is nice looking and the ring is really nice. Savinelli is a well respected pipe maker in this community. The Viking classic with the missing ring is a little closer to a entry level pipe. The Pipa Croci however might be the rarest find you have there. Pipa Croci was established in 1983, so it would appear that you have an inaugural edition there. It has quite a great grain on it as well. I hope this helps. I hope you enjoy them. If you have more questions for this group, just shout them out...plenty eager to help

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
My grandfather used JB Weld to fix his stems. I decided just to clean it up a bit and keep it in a rack as a tribute.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
My grandfather used JB Weld to fix his stems. I decided just to clean it up a bit and keep it in a rack as a tribute.
A wise choice, in my opinion. It has character. A pipe like that wears it's scars proudly, having served it's owner for many years. It's also obvious how your grandad felt about the pipe, since he took the time to repair it and keep it even though he apparently had plenty other pipes to smoke. He didn't just toss it out. Keep it around as a reminder of your dear old grandad :)

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
From what I can see, #'s 2 (a Savinelli), 5, 6, and 7 (another Savinelli) are everyday smokers. The two nicest ones there are #'s 4 (no markings?) and as mentioned above, 8, the Pipa Croci.
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipa_Croci

puff

Lurker
May 9, 2015
My condolences on his passing.
Generally with estate pipes, you will want to sterilize them and clean them out. Seeing as he was a family member you may not be worried about sterilizing it.
How much cleaning they require will vary depending on the condition of the inside of the bowl (not visible in your photos, so can't tell). If they are very dirty with a thick black carbon layer, they will probably need to be reamed before use (search Youtube for videos on pipe maintenance, for how-tos on reaming). If the carbon layer isn't too thick buy some pipe cleaners and some whiskey.
Clean the inside of the pipe bowl, and through the stem, take the mouth piece off and clean the inside of stem and mouth piece. once thoroughly cleaned with dry pipe cleaners, dip a pipe cleaner in the whiskey and clean the insides of the pipe again. WARNING: Be careful not to touch the outside of the pipe with anything wet with whiskey or the colour may come off.
Cleaning it with whiskey will also sterilize it. Once You're done with the cleaning, leave them over night to dry. Then reassemble them and smoke to your delight :)
P.S. NEVER USE SOAP to clean the pipes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.