PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I was attracted to this pipe because it reminded me of a Kaywoodie 83B and also certain GBD shapes. I could see that the stamps are sharp so I put in the minimum bid. Of course I won it. The finish was originally dark. But it had faded enough that I could see multiple small fills. I counted 6 obvious ones. There are probably more. This was a good exercise in hiding fills. I use cordovan stain to darken the fills. Then I used full strength mahogany as a finish coat. I gotta say I think it looks okay. The stem is hard rubber and thick and substantial. It has an orificial hole with a kind of faux slot. Because of that I think it's an early 30s pipe. I kinda like this one. I'll smoke it a bit and see how I feel about it.

I imagine this is a second of some sort. I suspected GBD. But a web search turned up zilch. There is no "made in" stamp. It's just a nice looking, decent smoking cheap pipe.
GrandSportDeluxeRhod_zpseb87f879.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice heavy duty Rhodesian. I like the bulky saddle stem. The photo reveals no fills, so you

did a good job with that. If they're not obtrusive, fills can give pipe character, if you don't

obsess about them.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
That's a nice looking Rhodesian. I'm not familiar with Grand Sport but when I see the word Bruyere I tend to think of US made pipes. Good luck with it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can the see the appeal!
Dunhill has a Bruyere line, perhaps they were playing off that assocation?
When I google Grand Sport pipes, I get exhaust pipes for this, one of my favorite Corvettes! (This shot is at downtown Watkins Glen, where the Grand Sport reunion was held)
1963_Corvette_Grand_Sport.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.