Grain alcohol and non-iodized salt, where to buy?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
I noticed that most of the salt and alcohol treatments done on pipes are with grain alcohol and non-iodized salt. I'm in Canada and I cannot find either. Due to some regulations, we can't purchase either of them? Can these items be purchased in the states at Kroeger or Meyers ? I am really close to Detroit MI.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Uniodized salt should be easy to obtain in most grocery stores, at least it is here in the US. As for the Everclear (PGA), you can buy it in most states, but any good high alcohol liquor should work. I know a lot of people who use Bacardi 151 rum to clean their pipes and say it works just fine.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
So is ever clear at grocery stores or just liquor stores?
That depends on the state, here in Georgia all hard liquor has to be sold out of a liquor store, but in some places it can be sold just about in any store that has purchased an alcohol selling license.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Kosher salt is not ionized! I did not know that, and I have some. Thanks jchaplick!
My Cristiano is salted. See you in 24 hours, buddy :)

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
If you can't find the salt I've heard great things about using cotton balls in their place.
The cotton helps the alcohol evaporate while still touching as much of the inside of the pipe as possible. With the cotton balls you will avoid having a pool of alcohol at the bottom waiting to evaporate. The cotton will soak it up and make it touch most of the inside of the pipe to help clean and kill ghosts.
I'm assuming that non iodized salt does the same thing. But the clean up is easier with the cotton balls. Especially if you forget about the pipes for a day or two. The salt will harden. Pain in the butt so I'm told.

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
Morton makes Kosher Salt, which has no Iodide, and they make a non-iodide salt that in in the same container as their regular salt. It will say "This salt does not supply iodide" under the Morton Salt Logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.