PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottser32

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
I've recently begun to love the introductory English blends people suggest on this site especially EMP, frog Morton and frog Morton cellar. I especially love EMP. I'm note sure what it is that makes me love it but I'd like a bolder version of it. I tried my mixture 965 but it just tasted like cigars to me. I also tried squadron leader which was nice but not bold enough. Can anyone suggest some bold blends to try next?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Bold English blends? how about Peter Stokkebye's Proper English and Standard Tobacco of Pennsylvania's Bengal Slices.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you tried Frog Morton Cellar and are indifferent, jar it and try again in some months. I think you'll discover it much to your liking eventually. For bulk tobacco, I like Peter Stokkebye's Proper English, or alternately his English Luxury, excellent blends at reasonable prices. But there are so many terrific English blends, as this thread will show.

scottser32

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
@mso489 Don't get me wrong, I love frog Morton cellar but I feel it's slightly too aromatic I want something smokier.
I wish I knew what it was in EMP that I love but I want an amped up version of it. I was thinking of trying some nightcap or Ashton artisans blend?
Unfortunately being located in Ireland means we have to buy tobacco abroad and after tax and shipping your looking at 25-30$ For a 50g tin so I don't want to buy something I'm gonna hate so I'm doing my due diligence.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Ten Russians, GLP Odyssey, Old Ironsides (if you can find it) are at the dark and smokey end of English blends. Have fun with it, there's lots out there to explore and enjoy.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Careful, some can get burned out on Latakia, and get to a point to where English blends have no depth.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I do like EMP also. But, the Latakia is in the background for me. You might try one of the MC Grand Orientals or a Virginia like Dunhill Flake. Or John Cotton 1 or 1 & 2.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Not sure about "bolder" but GL Pease Quite Night is quite intriguing, nightcap is smooth but definitely full bodied

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not sure about "bolder" but GL Pease Quite Night is quite intriguing, nightcap is smooth but definitely full bodied
Quiet Nights and Nightcap are both superb, agreed, but my "bolder" statement was comparing Smyrna and Bengal Slices to John Cotton's named blends. It is true!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I tend to lean more toward Balkans so these are my recommendations:

Smokers Haven Exotique

+1 Hearth & Home Blackhouse

Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi river

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm not very knowledgeable about Latakia//English blends, but if you're in Ireland you should try Condor or Condor Plug at least once.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
I tried my mixture 965 but it just tasted like cigars to me

I felt exactly the same with 965, but otherwise, I haven't found a dunhill that I don't like.

Maybe GL pease westminster, definitely give nightcap a try. Maybe balkan sobranie or sasieni if you can't get sobranie. Seattle pipe club plum pudding.

Welcome to the wonderful world of english blends my friend. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.