PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycr0

Lurker
Dec 23, 2013
Hello all! New to the forums and was hoping you all could shed some light on something for me. I started smoking a pipe a couple months ago. I'm currently smoking a piece of junk basket pipe that came with with a starter kit I ordered online. I honestly don't even know if it's briar. ANYWAY, I have decided it is time to upgrade to a higher quality pipe (a Sav or Peterson most likely) and I'm very curious how much you think a quality pipe will improve my smoking experience? I am going to purchase some cobs as we'll to develop a rotation, despite only smoking twice a day at the most.
Also any input on pipes to look at would be greatly appreciated!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Savenelli, Peterson, Stanwell, Butz-Choquin, and Nording are all great pipes that can be had from as little as $50 or $60, all the way up to $350+! I own at least one of each of these brands, as well as multiples of Peterson, Savenelli and Nording. All of them are good smokers!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I would suggest possibly an quality estate pipe from Briarblues or Pipestud. These guys will get you the best quality pipe for your money. Briarblues has some very nice selections for under $100. You can look at them here Briar Blues

tycr0

Lurker
Dec 23, 2013
Thanks for the links bigboii I will scope them. Could a poor quality wood also be a culprit for a very hot pipe in hand? I realize I probably smoked too fast as a beginner, but it still happens months later and with more refined technique.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Very nice looking pipe. I would buy that. Smoking too fast could be a culprit for a too hot pipe, but also aros burn hotter, not sure what type of tobacco you are smoking. Low quality wood could also be a culprit, but its probably your smoking style, remember to e long slow sips.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Very nice looking pipe. I would buy that. Smoking too fast could be a culprit for a too hot pipe, but also aros burn hotter, not sure what type of tobacco you are smoking. Low quality wood could also be a culprit, but its probably your smoking style, remember to e long slow sips.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Yes to everything you've asked. Another possibility is that you probably haven't built any cake in the pipe. Until the pipe is broken in, then it will probably smoke just a little hotter. Combined with poor technique and a hot-burning tobacco, then it's a recipe for a fireball.
The Pete vs Sav is a long-standing debate on these forums. There is no right answer, just whatever you like.
On the other hand, one of the nice advantages of estates is that there is often a little cake already there which will speed you towards cool smoking.
Another suggestion is to try some flake tobacco and don't rub it out too much. You'll find it smokes a little slower and cooler than ribbons (packing & lighting is a learning curve to warn you).

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Are you a clencher ? If so, then that pipe is a bit on the heavy side. Weight is something I didn't pay much attention to at first, but now I find it very important. I try to keep my pipes under 50 grams, ideally in the 30's if I can. Just another thing to consider.

tycr0

Lurker
Dec 23, 2013
I smoked a blend that came from the starter kit I ordered (in house blend from justforhim.com) but I have moved on to really enjoying three nuns. It was a bit tricky figuring out coins but I think I have it down now. I am really trying to kick this hobby into full gear after the holidays. Thanks for all the input! Very helpful!
My next tobacco purchases will be a Dunhill sampler, and I've heard nothing but good things about Christmas Cheer so I think I will grab a tin of that. Any suggestions on interesting blends? I'm open to a lot, only way to find a favorite is to try them all!

tycr0

Lurker
Dec 23, 2013
Hi trout sorry missed your question. For the most part I do clench. I mostly smoke while driving, I'm a GC so I do a lot of driving. I honestly never even considered looking at the weight , haha! Guess you can say I am a true beginner!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
You're on the right track. Good pipe+Good tobacco, and the rest you will figure out along the way.

I agree with others who have mentioned estate pipes. Its a way to get a lot more for your money, and most of the major names will make decent quality pipes.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I honestly never even considered looking at the weight
It's just one factor to consider. I have three Wileys that are all heavy, but I love them anyway. I smoke them while watching movies, where I can hold them with my hand while puffing, but I would never take them driving. Consider the shape too, full bents won't have the leverage of a straight pipe, so you can get away with a heavier pipe. Anyway, I hope I'm not making it too confusing. Good luck.

jaxon

Lurker
Dec 22, 2013
I recently purchased a Peterson system #313 and find it very enjoyable to smoke. Being a newbie to the hobby, I did some research and found Peterson Pipes to be both well built and reasonably priced.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on all the comments so far. My contribution:don't overlook the Stanwells. Reasonably priced, great styling, and good smoking. NOw--let me say so etching about basket pipes. In my collection I have 2 Charatan's (Lane era) 4 GBDs (70s vintage,) and one Dunhill. OK--they're all stamped "reject," and in some cases I can discern the flaw--mostly air hole drilling. Do I care? Would you? My point is if you keep your eyes open, you never know what you might find.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I just recently picked up three estate pipes on ebay for $20 and under. All three are awesome!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I would suggest possibly an quality estate pipe from Briarblues or Pipestud. These guys will get you the best quality pipe for your money. Briarblues has some very nice selections for under $100.
Amen to that. I got an unsmoked Stanwell billiard from Briarblues for under $100. It's finally about broken in, and is gonna be a great smoker.
I will repeat my standard advice: Smoke the best tobacco in the best pipes you can afford. With your plan to buy several cobs to flesh out your rotation, you are off to a good start. Take your time, and go for quality over quantity. (I wish I was younger and just starting out and had access to all the things we have now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.