PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I ought to know this by now, but hey, it's something piperrific to talk about.
I know that briar receives grades depending on it's age, flaws (or flawlessness) and grain, but it appears that there isn't a standard grading system, because I see some pipe makers use numbers, some use letters, and have different explanations for what each of them mean.
so am I right, or am I wrong, is there a favored briar grading system?
It would be pretty easy to confuse pipe sizing with the briar grade, too, but I don't believe I'm doing that.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Grading could also be considered "pricing". Its really a system for a pipemaker to sort his products according to whatever level of finish or craftsmanship he was able to achieve for each pipe.

Theres no standard for Grading pipes. Its up to each individual pipemaker to create his own system, and then its up to the pipemaker to sort his pipes according to that system.

In most cases this ends up being a value system where the highest number of pipes fall into a lower value bracket and the very few that come out as perfect examples of the art end up in a very small (very expensive)number of high grade pipes.

In some ways you could compare it "classes" of cars. Compact, Midsize, Fullsize. Each one is descriptive of the type of car you're looking at, but at the same time each one reflects in increase in price.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Zanthal, are you asking about grading the blocks of briar BEFORE they're cut into pipes? Or grading AFTER they're turned into pipes? If it's AFTER, then I agree w/ Lonestar.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I make my own hardwood pipes. There are two classifications:

1. Mediocre

2. Downright Ugly
I follow all the accepted parameters of machining construction. They all smoke very well.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I think its cool that each Pipemaker has their own grading system. Its one more thing thats unique about those pipes, and one more bit of lore to pick up about each maker.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I think its cool that each Pipemaker has their own grading system. Its one more thing thats unique about those pipes, and one more bit of lore to pick up about each maker.
That's a fair statement.
I was hoping that there was a sort of standardized system ... and good point, there probably is a system for the briar blocks themselves, in fact I remember reading about one.
We all know what "looks good" to our eye when it comes to briar. I was hoping there would a rating system for the briar quality, which I do know is based not just on whether it has flaws like cracks, chips, dings, or other such defects, but on how old it is and it's weight
Which is where I come up short:
How do you figure out, just by looking at a picture, if a piece of briar (whether it's been fashioned into a pipe yet or not) is light or heavy by volume or if it's been aged 10, 25, 50 or 100 years? I figure there are a couple of telling characteristics to watch out for, but I don't know what they are.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Age and weight are very intangible when it comes to grading a pipe, they dont have a lot to do with a grade. Unless you're talking about a pipemaker whose niche in the market is using particularly old briar, or particularly light briar. If you're talking about a specific line of pipes like a "Featherweight" or Trever Talberts "Ligna Bretagne", then you can expect the featherweights to be light, and the Bretagnes to be old briar.

Grading almost always has to do with the quality of fit, finish, grain and shape. The more attention to detail, the prettier the finish, tighter the grain and more beautiful or complicated the shape, the higher the grade will typically be.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Trying to specifically answer your question though, you have to break all of this down between the "Grade" of a pipe and the "Line" of pipes. A Grade is usually meant to assign a level of quality to a finished pipe. A Line means a pipe that is made in a style specific to that series of pipes.

If the age of the briar has an effect on Grade, its usually only when the age effects the beauty of the finished piece. So, you could have a piece of briar aged for 50 years that receives the same Grade as a block aged for 2 years. They both look good.

Usually if the weight of a pipe comes into play, it is because the pipe is a specific Line made to be lightweight, or a pipemaker with a reputation for making lightweight pipes. Most pipemakers dont Grade according to weight, unless thats what they're known for.

It all comes down to knowing the specific makers Lines and Grading system to know anything about what the stamps on a pipe means. Theres no way to tell the weight of a pipe or the age of the briar just from a photograph. You could make wild guesses, but you would be wrong as often as you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.