PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ulteriorzaiak

Lurker
Feb 12, 2012
So, here is a question for the community at large:
It seems that the main complaint for many people [including myself] of the newer Dr.Grabow pipes is the stems are made of some type of cheap-ish plastic. After a little bit of digging around, I've noticed a bit of talk from some folks who buy estate Grabows off of Ebay and the like, just for a replacement stem. If that is the case, does no one offer actual lucite or vulcanite aftermarket stems [kind of like the 'Forever Stems' for cobs]? I only ask because I'm under the impression that most Grabows are a 'standard' size and it just seems like something someone would offer, although I've yet to come across anyone who does.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Seems like an excessive amount of work to go to for such a cheap pipe, why not just buy a brand that doesn't skimp on quality rather than waste all the time?

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Someone said awhile back "older 'cheap' pipes were built better than newer 'cheap' pipes", I tend to agree, imho

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Walker Briar Works, Tim West, Floyd Norwood and any other pipe repair shop, many can either fit a stem or have on hand stems that would work and I think a few would even put the spade on the stem as well.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I agree with marmal4de. Why bother replacing the stem on an otherwise poor quality pipe?

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
You can get a better answer on the dr grabow collector s forum. (google it)

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I can't speak of there quality personally, my experience with "cheap" or "dimestore" pipes has been with kw's. I have an author from the '60s that I love, bought a new Dublin & disliked it so that I gave it away; it smoked fine, it just felt cheap & I didn't like it. Grabows run ,for the most part, $30-$40, for another $25-$30 you can get a stanwell, brigham, & the like. I've heard some good about them, buy a lot of bad, its been 99% opinion not fact, but that's enuff for me. Again imo..besides if you spend $35 on pipe + $20 on stem...

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It seems that the main complaint for many people [including myself] of the newer Dr.Grabow pipes is the stems are made of some type of cheap-ish plastic. After a little bit of digging around, I've noticed a bit of talk from some folks who buy estate Grabows off of Ebay and the like, just for a replacement stem. If that is the case, does no one offer actual lucite or vulcanite aftermarket stems [kind of like the 'Forever Stems' for cobs]? I only ask because I'm under the impression that most Grabows are a 'standard' size and it just seems like something someone would offer, although I've yet to come across anyone who does.
Grabow stems are not a standard size. You can buy a pipe off ebay for parts but it is unlikely the stem will be the same diameter as yours,even if the pipes appear to be identical. And even if they look identical they may not have the same type of stem. Your pipe may have a aluminum PUSH tenon while the one on ebay may have an Ajustomatic stem,both made of ABS.

This video show how the pipes are sanded at the factory--with the stems in place.Since sanding is done by hand it is unlikely two stems will be the same diameter.

http://myfox8.com/2012/03/21/made-in-nc-dr-grabow/
It is possible to use a stem from another pipe,but if you want the pipe to have proper stem to shank registration it will require some sanding,maybe some filing, and buffing. I have done it quite often,but then I'm nuts!

Probably the easiest way to get a replacement stem is to send your pipe to the factory and have a new stem fitted.Cost is about $13.00--IIRC- which includes shipping.

Dr.Grabow

International Pipes & Accessories
PO Box 849

Sparta, North Carolina 28675
Phone: 336-372-5521

Fax: 336-372-2875
Email: info@drgrabow.net

Status
Not open for further replies.