PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I'm looking to get a new pipe & had decided on a dr.g duke bent. I've not ordered it yet was going to after work today, but at lunch i went down to the b&m to get some cleaners and there was the duke I've been eyeing, but there was also a nice selection of medicos, and kaewoodies. Now my decision has become clouded...in your opinion, which of therewith three is a better quality pipe. To my eyes there all visually equal, within $1 in price, so I'm down to quality. All opinions are appreciated.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Which ever strikes your fancy! Keep in mind though that the Grabows and Medico are filter pipes,can't say about the newer Kaywoodies,seems like they use a push stem now.The filtered pipes can of course be smoked without a filter if you don't like them.If the Medicos are Brylon I wouldn't buy one.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
None of the above. :P
What else can you get for around the same amount of money? Does he have any estates? If you can't find something for a similar price, can you afford to spend more - or delay gratification long enough to put together enough dough to buy a better pipe?

Buy the best pipe you can afford. :puffy:

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Jud's got a good point ... if you spend some time looking, you'll be able to find an estate pipe that will last you many years. I've been outbid many, many times on Ebay in this hunt, but they're such a commonly re-sold item there's always more to see.
of the three Kaywoodie has made the most appealing pipes to me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Kaywoodies I've seen are handmade and very nice (large!). They are also quite a bit more expensive than what the Doctor has to offer.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I have a kaywoodie from 1955 that still smokes like a champ. I also have a Grabow I bought at CVS a few weeks ago. Paid only $10-15 for the kaywoodie but quality-wise I'd say it's a better pipe. The Grabow has provided some nice smokes, though.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I have a dozen or so Grabows and can't tell you not to get one. I got them all as estates and I think they smoke just fine ;)

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I've done some checking & have pretty well eliminated medico, but still pretty dead locked on the other two..

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
FWIW my Dr. G gurgles quite a bit. Of course so does my "new" estate Peterson that I got off smokingpipes.com (haven't tried the Pete bulldog I got from one of our fine members yet because it came in the mail right before I went to bed yesterday :) )

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Ok I'll check into some estates tomorrow, hopefully, at " first Monday trades days"...my wife got word today there are some out there. If that doesn't work out I'm back to the question..minus medico tho. BTW thanks so far.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I don't know about older grabows, but the current line comes with a terrible bit. After about 20 smokes it will feel like a cob bit. For the pri e I would look for an estate pipe.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I don't know about older grabows, but the current line comes with a terrible bit. After about 20 smokes it will feel like a cob bit. For the pri e I would look for an estate pipe.
Before I had my teeth yanked and got dentures I didn't care for the later DR. G. stem,which are ABS plastic. They are softer than vulcanite and are a bit thick. The thickness was my main problem with them,but a problem easily cured with a file,sand paper and the buffer. But even when I had real teeth I never had a problem with the stem looking like a well chewed cob stem. They ain't that soft.

Since my dentures spend more time outa my mouth than they do in it I don't have ANY problems with ANY type of stem!! :D

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I like Kaywoodie pipes , spending more money on a pipe does not mean you get a better smoker . It just means you spent more money on a pipe . I have seen grain on older KW that would make a Dunghill blush .OOOPS, Gee I hope no one throws a tantrum like that one guy did when we all made fun of Dunhills last year .He should be coming home from the home with the white coats soon . :laughat:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
true true true, dont c the sense to spend $400 on a pipe but then again dont c the sense to have too many 20.00 pipes either. but once again, i Do have a medico and its terrific, Its a med VFQ and while its not treasured, it is very serviceable and provides a decent smoke. ( i should add that it is older model and made of actual briar)

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I like Kaywoodie pipes , spending more money on a pipe does not mean you get a better smoker . It just means you spent more money on a pipe . I have seen grain on older KW that would make a Dunghill blush .OOOPS, Gee I hope no one throws a tantrum like that one guy did when we all made fun of Dunhills last year .He should be coming home from the home with the white coats soon

It's good to see that the spirit of brotherhood and canaraderie is alive and well here. Would you believe that there are actually forums where members belittle others for their taste in pipes and the blends they smoke?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My Dr. G Starfire pickaxe is the best flake pipe I own, out of 65 pipes. Never had a Kaywoodie.

Jul 15, 2011
I have 7 Dr. Grabows, and each and every one of them smokes like a champ. With proper packing and smoking technique, you can get as good a smoke out of them as you could with several other pipes that are a little higher in price. Medicos? Don't get anything that is made with Brylon, because they are a horrible smoke. Most vintage Medicos were made with briar, and they offer a good smoke if you can find them on ebay or at an antique shop. Kaywoodie? I don't like that damn stinger they install in the stem. It makes the smoke much worse in my opinion, and if you are a handyman, you can cut the stinger off, or if you're lucky, like me, you can find one on Ebay that already has the stinger taken off. I have one Kaywoodie that I bought, sans stinger, and it is a great smoke. Bottom line? All the above advice is good, but as always, your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.