PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
So thanks to soymilkisgood I have added my first Dr.Grabow, a Commodore #10, to my growing collection and I think this adds to a turning point in pipe collecting for me. If Soy is correct on the approx dating this is now the oldest pipe in my collection at almost 50yrs old, it's my first stinger pipe as well. First bowl was some rubbed out McClelland Virginia broken flake with a pinch of Perique added in. Wow.... It smoked cool as Steve McQueen and smooth as a prom queen's thighs. Zero gurgle, two relights, and finished to a perfect light grey ash. I've read on here about the wonders of old, aged briars and those who sing the ballads of old Grabows and I can finally say that I get it as well. I have purchased two pipes this year and both were estate pipes that really appealed to me. The Dr.Grabow and a great billiard made by the brothers at Pipa Croci from the early 80's and from now on I think I will look towards finding older estates or older non-smoked rather then buying new pipes. Something about that old briar just makes for a better smoke for me.

E460611C-E35D-40E0-B50E-2E043BE45093_zpsjrrtdser.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Another convert see's the light! The older Grabows are indeed good pipes. The Commodore,Viscount,Westbrook,Eldorado and others made back in the day are great smokers.I have several of the newer pipes but I prefer those made in the 60's and 70's.

Don't see many Commodores in a "Continental" shape.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Thats a really nice looking one. Reason I dont have more is the one's in the stores don't look that nice...

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Thats a really nice looking one. Reason I dont have more is the one's in the stores don't look that nice...

From what I have seen on Ebay I have to agree. I gonna look for more Grabows but I'm going to be picky about what I bid on.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Great looking pipe!
I love my Grabow Westbrook. It's the perfect size for coins cut from twist / rope.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
The old Doc Grabows are currently the most underrated pipes on eBay and yours looks great! They usually have nice grain, no flaws and the briar is aged to perfection.
Has anybody ordered one of the new ajustomatics from the factory? I'd kind of like to see one before I shell out the bucks. I have newer Omega and Freehand pipes and I'm not terribly impressed with them.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
My first pipe was a Grabow Big pipe since then I have added quite a few to my collection and love them all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a nifty Dr. Grabow; it looks like a French pipe. I have a Royalton bent bulldog with an acrylic stem,

very nice pipe, really nicely shaped in the bulldog tradition.

Status
Not open for further replies.