PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Just bought another vintage Grabow, a Savoy with a stinger, off of Ebay. Something I had sworn off. Of course, a vintage Grabow is sort of a dubious description, but hey.
One thing i do know, is that I smoke only the finest of $25 pipes, and anyone who smokes anything else other than *possibly* a beat up Kaywoodie, or off brand beater pipes reminds me of a fishmonger-guttersnipe-jackass. And...don't get me started on cobs or women who smoke $200 pipes.
Oh, and as an aside, I found out that my Mitchel Thomas does NOT have a cracked bowl, only a line across the rim that appears to be one. When it bounced off my primary casing and ontot he concrete it didn't bust! And my Milano Lock Mount appeared in the mail a month late. It must have visited Uncle Arthur at some point in its historied career, as its stinger is circumcised. I may toss it out!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Grabows,cheap drug store pipes that they are,can be addicting. I know. Have somewhere around 200 of them and know a few guys who have more.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i only have one Gabrow, and old Starfire estate that was well-smoked and well taken care of. that little guy is a favorite smoker of mine. One thing i really like is the button and stem are a bit thicker than most of my pipes, and i find it very comfy.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I have five: My Dad's old Regal, a Silver Duke I picked up at an antique store, an Omega, a Royalton, and a Big Pipe. They all smoke quite well.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I have 3 grabows right now, this will be number 4. All my pipes are either cheap estates or basket pipes. I have one meerschaum lined calabash that I don't smoke at all, and it may be my fanciest pipe.
However, if my wife decides to start smoking, I may buy her a Dunhill.
The Grabows smoke pretty dang good, so far as I can tell. There are probably better smoking pipes out there, but it has to be a matter of degrees.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I didn't have any just 2 years ago when my grandfather died.. I got his Grabows and Medicos. That's all he had.

Now I have over 150 Grabows.

I collect SWR items too. LOL

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
and anyone who smokes anything else other than *possibly* a beat up Kaywoodie, or off brand beater pipes reminds me of a fishmonger-guttersnipe-jackass
Kevin would get quite pissed if I gave this comment the response it deserves.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I can find no fault with a Dr. Grabow pipe other than it's a filtered pipe and an additional expense to pipe smoking and the newer abs plastic stem material is hard and uncomfortable to clench unless you use a softie bit.
I ditch the filters.
The only thing I use a filter on is my cob,. because the draw is so open I am spitting tobacco the whole time I smoke.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
can i ask what a stinger is?

i like my 2 grabows that i have a duke and lark and probly will be getting more

i go trout fishing just below the factory

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I can find no fault with a Dr. Grabow pipe other than it's a filtered pipe and an additional expense to pipe smoking and the newer abs plastic stem material is hard and uncomfortable to clench unless you use a softie bit.
Marc,have you tried any of the older Grabows? Many of them are NOT filtered.Westbrooks,Viscounts,Starfires,Savoy,Lark,Duke,Belvederes,Eldorado,Emperors are all unfiltered pipes,as are many of the older Linkman Grabows.

I find that the ABS stems are softer and easier to mark than vulcanite,although the Lucite stems used in some are hard and uncomfortable to me.
For anyone interested in more info on Grabows look here--

http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/index.php?sid=b27327dc51fa201c9aafbc7e32460cee

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
A stinger is a metal tube, fitted to the pipe stem, typically threaded. Smoke is drawn from the bowl, and through the stinger.
They are placed there to gratify the surgical desires of Uncle Arthur.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
i've got 5 Dr. Gs at present--have had more, but can't find 'em--long story and won't go there--
Have a newly acquired Viking; a Viscount shape #46 that i believe was called 'Continental' (1960s??); an #81 Viscount Author; an #84 Starfire Canadian; and a full bent Regal--
they are all top notch smokers--the Viking does get a bit 'Warm'--but then again, it is metal--

Status
Not open for further replies.