PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
After too long procrastinating, I finally got my hand on some GQ Tobacco blends from Glynn and I thought I would share my thoughts. I am still burning through the samples but have had enough bowl of each to at least weigh in. In general the blends had interesting pouch notes, be a nice shaggish, thin ribbons and burned down to a nice mottled grey/white ash for those that take note of such things.
Classic English: First off, this is not a classic English in my book. Not with the cigar leaf and Kentucky but that isn't holding this one back. Frankly I am a bit surprised that the earth tones and notes come across well with my palate. I'm often turned off by these flavors in a pipe blend but they meld seamlessly here and produce a variance that makes this blend stand out in a crowded genre. I am curious if age will improve this blend for me or make the cigar more prominent.
Classic Balkan: Once more this blend is different than the name implies. I do not feel he was after the straight Balkan Sobranie clone the genre is known for. The Virginias and Izmir take center stage with the Lat and Kentucky present but playing background roles. The result is quite a bit of creamy dancing between the Va's and Orientals to the tune of smokiness. If you like less Latakia in your Balkans, this is a winner.
Breakfast Blend: A serious shake up for my mornings that have been filled with EMP in the previous months. With no Latakia the Kentucky, Va's and Orientals all start out a bit raucous. The true light on the first couple bowls made me question if this blend was for me but afterwards became a welcome start to a good bowl. The Izmir gives the cream and sour notes it seems to bring to blends while the Kentucky and Va's shift your focus back and forth without fighting with one another. Glynn seems to achieve a complex but completely approachable blend that is stellar with coffee. I recommend this both for the function its name implies and for lovers of Orientals.
Askwith Kake: The reason GQ Tobacco came into my sights in the first place, I had high hoped for this blend; it did not disappoint. The Kake is not too dense and crumbles with ease, releasing a bouncy and easy to pack tobacco. The Virginias are not as sweet and hay like as I am used to in Va/Per blends. Don't get me wrong, those notes are all there but this definitely pushes into the earthier side of Virginias. At 20% the Perique never hides itself but sin't as assertive as one might think and never dominating. Like Cool Hand Fluke, Askwith Kake is a spicy Perique powerhouse but makes you scratch your head wondering how it came out so balanced. I got the full range of Perique flavors and quite a wide swath of Va as well but the spiciness would be what stood out the most. Decent nic hit but milder than I expected.
Nottingham Lace Rouge: Red Virginia/Cav topped with alcohol creates an interesting base with some Kentucky and Perique adding in dimension to this odd and intriguing mix. This is not your father's Va/Per by a long shot. I will come right out and say I need to smoke more of this to really get a handle on it and review it properly but I mean that in the best sort of way. This tobacco has me thinking about it throughout the days and nights. I wouldn't class it as an Aro but more of a traditionally topped blend. That said it is far shy of a Lakeland and is an easy smoke. I can't say whether or not you will like this one but I would bet it will get a reaction. Something fresh and interesting in a sea of similar blends.
Nottingham Lace Noir: Much of what I wrote above also applies to the Noir version of Lace but this one is built on an English Black Cav with golden Va's, Izmir and of course Perique. Rich and interesting with a leathery backdrop, another one to test the limits of Va/Per's with additions. From the pouch note to the way the flavors marry, another one that has me wanting more. I will be cellaring both the Lace blends and hope to see more iterations of this experiment. Here is this mornings bowl of it in one of my LB pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's some serious sampling and reviewing; thank you. This sounds like a good line, but one that takes some research, since few of the blends correspond spot-on to their given names.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
but one that takes some research, since few of the blends correspond spot-on to their given names.
While the two classic blends do fall a bit outside what I would personally think of as quintessential Balkan and English, the flavors certainly fall into those ranges and the GQ site is very forth coming about what is in each blend. I would say if Glynn's description sound appealing then I wouldn't hesitate to try a blend. I will most certainly be trying more off his site. He also has some great English blends that are either hard or impossible to obtain here and carries some of the flakes we see in plug form.

May 4, 2015
I've been wanting to try the GQ stuff since he guested on the radio show. I get such a kick out of people who are so enthusiastic. Glynn talks about tobacco like a guy who is madly in love with a beautiful woman.
What's the implications on getting this stuff in to the US?

jogilli

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
Glynn makes some great tobacco.. And is a great conversationalist to boot ... Personally I really like the Askwith cake ;-)
James

budrichard

Lurker
Jul 9, 2015
"What's the implications on getting this stuff in to the US?"
GQ only accepts Bank Transfers. Pricey and a pain but I recently did an order

For the following:
GQ Blends - Askwith Kake

(Pack Size: 250g Loose Pouch)
GQ Blends - Latakia Layer Kake

GQ Blends - Soft Scotch

No problems with shipping or Customs.

-Richard

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
The only blend of Glynn's I've tried is the Askwith cake, you can tell he uses something from GH as there is a tiny hint of lakeland in the background

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I was able to pay via paypal invoice sent to my by Glynn. Drennan, there are points where I feel I get the slightest hint of that smell but I detect none of the flavor. I agree the blending tobacco is likely GH.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Directors Cut is a favourite of mine as well.
I think you are in the mindset of Hu Tobacco but you can't go wrong with Hans either.
Bump for the Lakeland lovers, GQ now has Bright CR with coconut and Best Brown Flake with vanilla. Also you can get things like Bob's chocolate flake in its uncut plug form from him.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Sorry but that might come across wrong, these two blends do not actually have the Lakeland essence topping. There are the same as the blends by the same name with the additional topping.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the review, daimyo. All of these blends sound delicious. I am confused what or who your source for these blends is. Where are you ordering it from?
Is that one of Cosmic's tampers?

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
I've been smoking a fair bit of GQ tobaccos since I started the pipe as I'm in the UK, Glynn knows his stuff and is a nice guy.
The above reviews sound about right. You should spend a bit more time with Nottingham Lace: Rouge, I really like it. For anyone who likes strong lakeland/floral tobaccos you should really check out Swampflower, it beats the hell out of Condor!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Is that one of Cosmic's tampers?
It is and I love it, my wife has one he made with butterfly's and a pink stone that I always forget the name of.
Styler, I will be ordering more Rouge for certain. I have totally fallen in love with the stuff. I was definitely going to try Swampflower next order and that statement sealed the deal for me because I love Condor.

glynnquelch

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
Nottingham , UK
Due to credit card restrictions we can not accept card payments for tobacco orders from the site (GQTobaccos). But if people wish to order, please email us (details on the website) and we will give instructions on alternatives. All i ask is please do not post how i do process orders, i am very a cautious seller!
Thanks to you all for your very kind words on my tobaccos, glad you enjoyed them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.