PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I purchased this pipe several years ago and have recently been thinking about having it restored. The only markings on the pipe are the silver marks - AHE (silversmith I assume), anchor (Birmingham) and what appears to be D (1928 if I am reading it right with these old eyes).
The bowl appears to be lined, but it is wide open (does not have a draft hole). Could be broken out or was really intended to have a removable meer bowl. The problem is the fit in the case would really not allow for a meer insert. I have seen a few online photos of a similar pipe that appeared to have silver work on the rim. Frankly, the pipe baffles me - broken? missing parts?
So, who would you suggest as a repair person to look at the pipe and discuss options - someone with knowledge and skills with this type pipe?

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Does it have a meer bowl inside? The picture looks like it might.
If it is a black liner, it may be asbestos as that was used some time ago before they knew what asbestos will do to your lungs.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
It is certainly lined. It's not asbestos which has a redish hue (this is off white). If I had to guess I would say it's gypsum lined. But like I said, it's wide open all the way down the gourd.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Looked at the hallmark again with a jewelers hoop - it's an l 1910, not 1928.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
That's wild. At first glance, where's the meer bowl?, but everything points to... probably never had one. Great fluid shape. Very nice.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Well, looking at the last shot, from-the-top-view, what's left inside the gourd IS the bowl. Just that the bottom has disintegrated with use and abuse. Baccy juice and oils for 100 years eat through briar, let alone Meerschaum. With enough skill, one can scrape out some/most of the old bowl and fit a modern one, then shave off its' top to match the original profile.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
That's what I was thinking happened with the bowl rcstan.
Who in the resto community has the skills to bring this pipe back? Or should I just leave it alone and enjoy jus looking at it?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
rblood

You might want to contact George Dibos on here ( username georged ) and see what his thoughts are on the issue. Guys here have had pretty good luck with him and , while having not have met him in person or sent off anything to him, from his posts, and those of others, the man knows his stuff.

For a variety of reasons, I only do "consulting" when it comes to restoring ...... :puffy:

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Thanks for the comments gentlemen. PM sent to George to get the ball rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.