PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattnelson23

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2012
I just got an estate pipe off of ebay and it is in good shape, except for a decent sized gouge/pitted area in the bottom of the inside of the bowl. :crying: Looks like someone got too aggressive when cleaning it out at one point or something. Just wondering if there are any techniques/tricks to fixing the inside of a bowl with this condition? Thank you.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
There is pipe mud, but you may want to make sure it'sn not jusst an area where some cake has broken loose. Those spots sometimes look like gouges, but aren't.

mattnelson23

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2012
Pipe mud, huh? I'll check it out. Yeah, pretty sure it is in the wood itself. There's some minor wood pulp evidence in the hole. Thanks for a quick response!

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
Great Question, luckily you don't have to go far. "Pipe Mud" is a combination of fine tobacco ash and some water mixed well to make a thick paste like substance. Easy to make and use just fill in the gouges in the chamber and let the mud dry for a couple of days.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I don't use pipe mud but it works. Just have to be careful you don't knock it loose when your cleaning your pipe.
What I use is powdered grout mix. I mix it just like the pipe mud and then apply it to the insid of the bowl with a Q tip that has the fuzzy end cut off. Smoke it once and you'll never see it. Also, a cake will build and adhere to it just fine. It dries like concrete (as it's crete based) and I've not had any repairs with it come out.
I also use the same thing too raise the bottom of bowls that have the airway just a bit too high. Works like a charm here too.
You can buy it at just about any home improvement place.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Thanks for the tip on that Smokindawg. There was talk of that in another thread but these are good details...

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
How high should the bottom of a bowl be to the airway? Don't meant to steal the post but maybe Matt wants to know also because I know as much about mud, or less.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Ideally, they should be flush with each other, otherwise it won't burn to the bottom.
To the OP: this "gouge" isn't the start of a burn out is it?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
That"s good advice smokeingdog gave you, hardware stores have fireplace stove mortar repair, silica based , fills holes, builds up btm of pipes. Good for up to 2000*, all you need is a caulk gun, wished they had a small tube but they don"t, it works , I"ve used it. The old cajun

mattnelson23

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2012
'To the OP: this "gouge" isn't the start of a burn out is it?'
No, I don't believe it's a burnout, just some overzealous digging in or something. Wouldn't a burnout have a charred appearance? This is like raw wood that I'm seeing.

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
I use Sodium Silicate aka Liquid Glass, found at any ceramic supply house, and activated chacoal powder, found at any health food store, mixed to a consistency of heavy motor oil, 30W, and apply with a q-tip. A word of caution, charcoal powder goes a long way, use a small amount, add your liquid glass and stir. I would fill the crack, let it dry, then put a light coat in the bowl. Helps with the cake.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
what a great forum, all the info you need at our finger tips. i also have a little trick. alot of the guys here do not care for it, here it is. i have used carbon cake that has been reamed from a pipe mixed with some honey. the final mix should be thick. i have used it to raise the bottom of a bowl, and to fill in a burnt area in the bowl. let it dry for a day or two. good luck too you sir.
mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.