PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
went into town today ( nearest city is 45 mins drive from where i live) and thought id drop by the little smoke shop there. i was jonesing for some smoke cause im still waiting on my order i made online to arrive. last pouch i bought was Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey, which was $19 for a 50g pouch. Not a bad smoke i guess but im still a rookie so what do i know. anyhow, i thought ld switch it up today and try some Sail yellow. same size pouch, $26!!! so, i think thatll be my last pouch i purchase locally.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
LOL Bigvan
Never had it but heard some horror stories. Not worth $26 no matter how you slice it though.
Screw paying inflated taxes on tobacco. Buy online until the Gov gets their act together. It's a shame that local businesses have to pay the price though.

adam12

May 16, 2011
If I were you, I'd be THANKING the government for saving you from Sail.
Exactly. Had you smoked a bowl of Sail, you would have been paying five times that amount in Pepto Bismol, so it all evens out

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
hahahaha yeaaaaa its great being a noob. i still really dont know one brand from the next but ill smoke it anyway, aint gonna throw it out for that price. but, yes Spatan its true, i know im gonnna be buying all my tobacco online from now on! on an unrelated now, can you guys tell me how to add pics in a post. i wanna put a pic of my pipe up but cant figure out how :?

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
@bubblehead - IMGUR.com ... make an account, upload photos, and copy/paste the provided BBCODE into a post ... done.
It's easy to complain about the government ... but would you trade our government for say ... Mexico's?

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
thanks zanthal! ill try that...Mexico eh? well unless i was the head of a drug cartel, no, probably not. just gotta complain about something, lifes too good i guess haha

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Right, and here in BC any of the good stuff is $35 to $40 for 50g. And to make it worse, bulk blends must be pre-packaged by the tobacconist into 50 or 100 g packages only. No samples, no other sizes allowed! :-(

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Tobacco bootleger here lol jk......

Dude I am in Indiana and the taxes aint that bad here sofar they have left pipe tobacco alone knock on wood. some other states here in the us are just as crazy as up there with taxes.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
It's always hard when some of us Americans hear told of paying $26 for 50g of any tobacco, but it's just another paradigm we here on the internet aren't quit used to yet. That's why whenever I quote a price, like $10.00 American, I always include the 'American' part. When we chat on here or any other site, we may be talking to Aussies, South Americans, Canadians or South Africans! You never know...... There are pipe smokers everywhere!

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
Mate that is nothing to Australia. For a pouch or tin here we pay $45-$50 for 50grams. And we only have a about 5 brands available. you can buy online though, if it gets caught by customs they charge $450 a kg in duty, but usually the packages arrive safely :).

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If I were you, I'd be THANKING the government for saving you from Sail.
I'd take Sail Yellow over BR any day of the week and 5 times on Sunday, tyvm. Sail Green over the Yellow, though. :puffy:

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Bubblehead33, you can order 200grams of tobacco (1 unit) from online retailers and avoid paying duty & taxes. Be careful though...for example, in Manitoba if you have more than 1kg (5 units) you may be charged with intent to sell. Research your province's tobacco act, should be easy to find with google.
Online retailers like 4noggins and pipesandcigars ship to Canada. Even after shipping costs, it's significantly cheaper. That being said, if you can find a local tobacconist who makes blends you enjoy, it's probably worth spending a few extra bucks to support them. It's not their fault our gov't takes such a big piece of the pie.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
thanks for the info cgrd. i made an order with smokingpipes.com, just waiting for it to arrive. made a small order just to see whats gonna take place with duty, tax, etc. i would support my local tobacconist but im in a pretty rural area so theres not a lot of options. and youre right, the prices are quite different online as opposed to here!

Status
Not open for further replies.