PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
It seems I just can get enough of Carlo Scotti(RIP) or Franco Coppo lately. It is another IMHO great piece from Mike at Briar Blues. I honestly and truly love doing business with this guy. I wish I could buy all my estates from him. He goes that extra mile to make sure you're satisfied. As I said before he knows his stuff and can point ya in the right direction. The pipe should arrive just about the same time I get home for my Thanksgiving break which is tomorrow! This one is a Carlo Scotti(stamped) piece and I can't wait to smoke her.
"When love collides with heart ache, it’s only The Blues" ~Michael J. Glukler
mj012b.jpg

mj012a.jpg

mj012c.jpg

mj012d.jpg

mj012e.jpg

mj012f.jpg

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Thanks for the great comments guys.
@markw4mms I wish everyone could try a Castello. They are truly a smoking experience like no other. I will waste money trying other pipes and continue my search for the perfect birth year Dunhill. I was born after the great patent age which ended in 1954. I just know I love VA's now and smoking through a Castello makes my favorite VA's taste better. The briar + tobacco mix just sells it for me. Carlo had quality and love in mind and it still shows through presently in Franco Coppo's(stamped Kino) and Carlo's daughter Savina's work. Castello's are still hand made to this day. They are worth ever penny. Save up and please try one. You wont't regret it.
This is a great information guide on Castello's. So far it's the best I have seen on the web.
CASTELLO - DATELINE & INFORMATION GUIDE

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Yea Roth that is a downside for lovers of vulcanite stems. Personally it doesn't bother my teeth at all but I know where you are coming from. Lucite is so much easier to maintain but certain teeth don't agree with it. It's just another interesting facet to our hobby.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Nice pipe. I do so long to own a Castello. Love that deep craggy rustication.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Gorgeous pipe! Very nice detail on that one for sure, I especially love the smooth bottom strip.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great looking Castello, that is the definition of craggy. It should be a wonderful smoker as are all Castello's. Congrats on a great piece, and Mike is definitely one of the good guys.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Another great acquisition. While I love and prefer vulcanite stemmed pipes, a few acrylic stems are nice to have around for clenching days. Smoking a Castello is a unique experience and my favorite blends just have a different zing when smoked thru either of my pipes. The Sea Rock line is definitely a great value, even more so in the estate market.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I understand completely Al. When I first started back to pipe smoking I had to have a pipe with a vulcanite stem. That was what the reputable guys on the forums smoked. I literally thought that if it is a pipe without a vulcanite stem it is just crap. I don't think that way anymore. I like a vulcanite stem but don't mind a lucite stem at all. As my collection grows it becomes more of a pain to keep my vulcanite stems from oxidizing and my silver from tarnishing. Granted I travel 300+ days out of the year. A low maintenance pipe is a plus for me. I know you travel a lot also Al and a clincher is a necessity for a convertible owner.
To me the biggest thing is the taste. That is what I am here for. From the first smoke even a novice piper like myself can tell if a pipe is engineered correctly. If I want a deep rich nutty taste, I will grab an Ashton or a Ferndown. If I want a full whole wheat taste with the essence of sunshine or bright tangyness, I will grab a Castello. I wish I could describe it better, but I just cant do it at this time. The taste is indescribable. I just know it's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.