PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've been eyeing Mastro De Paja's for a little while and found the pricing very confusing. I also found their stamps a bit confusing. One appeared to be a sun and the other I thought might be an octopus - I was wrong - lol!
mastro-sun-285x600.jpg

So I wrote the company and I am happy to report that I rec'd immediate answers. To begin with, prices for their pipes can vary widely and value can be determined by the number of suns a pipe has stamped on it.
Here's what they wrote (thanks to Nicholas at Mastro de Paja)
Mastro de Paja:

Actually we have this type of pipes:
CLASSICA

CLASSICA ELEGANZA

COLLECTION

HAND MADE
note: all of the above are all hand-finished by our craftsmen
Our logo is the “sun” of Mastro.
The symbol of the “Mastro de Paja” has always been the sun (not an octopus). The symbol you see in the first and second image [above] is a stylized sun. In general is a trademark used only for the mouthpieces.
On all ""Mastro de Paja"" pipes you can see imprinted (stamped) all information for tracing the value of each of them.
EXAMPLE :

- GROUP : OB (rusticated)......1B (sandblasted).....2D (smooth finish)......3A (brown orange stain)

- SUN OR SUNS : On every group we can have different values: 1 Suns....2 Suns... (You can find one or more sun face stamped closeness of the group)

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
and the other I thought might be an octopus
:rofl: im sorry man but that really made me laugh this morning.
Great to know though because I have always wanted to add one to my "collection" but never really bothered to educate myself on them.
Whats the max number of suns a pipe can have?

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Very interesting numbersix. I find discovering the "secret code" of the stamps or makings on pipes to be one of the fun parts of this hobby. I don't think I'll ever know all different possibilities of the pipe makers. Thanks for the insight to Matro de Paja.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Whats the max number of suns a pipe can have?
I think the greatest number is four - maybe Harris can straighten me out on that one - I know he's got a few of these.
Honestly, I still find their pricing a little confusing - especially when it comes to valuing estates. I see some going for around $110 and others for $250 and it's not always clear on why since sometimes both have the same stamps.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Honestly, I still find their pricing a little confusing - especially when it comes to valuing estates. I see some going for around $110 and others for $250 and it's not always clear on why since sometimes both have the same stamps.
Thats just the nature of the market. New pipes have set prices, but estate pipe value is more of a price range so it might be at the high end or the low.

Also can be due to the condition. I have a Mastro de Paja I just relisted on Briarbid it started at $85 and ended with no bidders ! Its a dress black pipe and a bit of the black finish has rubbed through, but it is still a wonderful pipe and a steal at the price.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I just relisted on Briarbid it started at $85 and ended with no bidders ! Its a dress black pipe and a bit of the black finish has rubbed through, but it is still a wonderful pipe and a steal at the price.
Thanks lonestar - it makes sense. And must have missed yours - I check nearly every day.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Confusion set in, so I had to dig up my only Mastro de Paja, an elderly but as yet unsmoked canadian. Stamping on the bottom of the shank reads "Media" followed by what appears to be "3C". On the right side of the shank it reads "Pesaro", preceded by a single octopian sun. Finally, on the left side is the "Mastro de Paja" name, with a subscript 'Fatto a mano".

Maybe they changed their range?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Pesaro is a town in Italy - and it signifies where they are made (as well as the "school of pipes")
"Mastro de Paja became the nucleus of the pipe center Pesaro and what today is called the Pesaro school, boasting so many famous brands such as Il Ceppo, Ser Jacopo, Don Carlos, Rinaldo, Le Nuvole or L'Anatra."http://www.pipedia.org/index.php?title=Mastro_de_Paja
The 3C isn't a reflection of quality - but describes the finish.
Still, I cannot say I am entirely clear on how to value Mastro de Paja's - but it's a start.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
six, I still cannot figure it out. How do they designate which ones are the higher hand made ones? If it has a sun does it mean hand made? One of mine is a one sun smooth, the other is a one sun rusticated. I do know their 3 suns go for some big bucks, so I am guessing that the suns designate hand made maybe????

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I am not too clear on it either. According the Nicholas - all of them are hand-made.
My only guess is the number of suns. On top of that, the silver disk on the stem is sometimes a carved sun, sometimes just a plain silver disk. It is my thinking that this sun disk on the stem doesn't count when counting suns - only the stamped-on-wood suns count!
[way too many 'counts' in that sentence!]
lol - very confusing for sure.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
oh man! Harris... I was sure you of all people would know LOL
I think the sun is on all their pipes regardless if they are handmade or not, I dont know... Im so confused! :P ... the only thing I am sure of is that the more suns the higher the price, I just wasnt sure what the highest number of suns they use.
Erick

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
No "Per Amici" anywhere and it's not that old: probably from the nineties. Also, it's a very nice pipe but not a first-rate one.

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
Very interesting! Thanks for the post, I have one Mastro and I feel it is the best smoker of anything I have.

It has a 3A in a circle, a "P" and some circular logo, (definitely not a sun) and a silver disk inset in the base of the stem.

Maybe it's a second? (no sun)

Status
Not open for further replies.