PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I found out one of the two local tobacco/cigar store, Tinder Box will closing this November. They didn't have the greatest selection of tobacco pipes or pipe accessories but it brought a good crowd of pipe smokers there especially on the weekends. I visit that place at least twice a week. The service wasn't the greatest either but we didn't mind that cause it has a different atmosphere than the other shop in the valley and now the owner just decided to close it all of a sudden no reason given. Going to miss that place and the good people I shared pipe stories with. I know some people drove about 20 miles just to go over and have a some wines, cigars, and a few good games of dominoes and share good times with the other customers. The only place close to the atmosphere and good people would be the Briar Shoppe in Houston, but it's 5 1/2 hours. A few of us are deciding where can get together after the closing of the store but all the new plazas opening up have all these new city ordinance where you can't even smoke outside the establishment or anywhere on the property. Really going to miss the place when it's gone....

jsiddle

Sep 24, 2012
Thats sad man...
2 interesting thoughts though... Buy up what you can if/when he starts discounted stuff to help him out just in case its a financial thing...
Secondly, There are TONS of B&Ms up here in San Antonio

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Lack of service and selection will kill any business..hate to hear about this one. I work at a local B&M on saturdays, but our selection is weak. Not by my choice, but the owners(who dont' smoke cigars or pipes). I usually get the better selection about 45 minutes away in another city. They almost ran me off with poor service alone, but recently hired a new guy who is very helpful. That goes a long way IMO.

-Jason

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
It is really tough going for many of the "brick and mortar" shops out there. I have seen a few close in the years but currently I hear they are just "getting by" with taxes, less folks buying specialty tobacco products and of course the economy. I support a good local shop and yesterday I found one. SO, aside form that all we can do is either support them or hope to one day open our own shop.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
ah man! that sucks ass! Yeah here where I live the local B&M closed shop while I was living out of state, now the closest one is Tinder Box in Santa Monica about 1 hour away. Really do miss the Claremont Smoke House. In fact I was talking to my wife about opening up a new B&M here locally.
Here's what I dont understand... it seems that pipe smoking is making a comeback of sorts, I see it getting more popular with the younger folk... so why is it that more and more B&M are closing doors? is it that prices are a bit less expensive via internet?

sinister

Might Stick Around
Oct 3, 2012
Central FL
There's a Tinder Box near me that I get my stuff from. I really like the store since it seems about the only reputable shop that is close enough and supports pipes. Everytime Ive been in, there has always been a few others to walk in and out with product. Last time I was in there, I laughed with the shop owner that I needed to get a bit more time and Id sit and enjoy a smoke with him. His face lit up with delight at the thought of it. Looking forward to finding some time to do that....

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That's a bummer, but I would see what you can buy up at a discount.
My guess is that the owner felt it was too much work for not enough money. It's not easy running a retail tobacco shop.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
It's not easy running a retail tobacco shop.
Fixed that for you. :wink: Retail, regardless of the goods for sale, is tough and demanding, especially on non-chain, small hobby shops.

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I think the internet has alot to do with the purchase of tobacco being bought than bought locally, but even when I visit the shop we pay about $5 bucks for a glass of Boston Lager. I drink at least 5 of those plus the purchase of accessories. At the end of the night my fiance and I run at least a $40 - $50 tab, a friend of mine buys at least 3 wine bottles for him and his wife and at least 6 cigars each and they charge him a corking fee. So I think they get make up there loss on the beers and wines they sell. I can go on and on about other people making big purchases but what the owner never did was introduce beer specials or tobacco specials. I think that hurt him the most. The other cigar shop always has $2 day beer specials on at least 5 brands, we all know this but prefer Tinder Box because of the good people and atmosphere. Still bad service could've been a major issue. Still sucks though.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Poor service will kill a business faster than anything. If you do not treat your customers like gold and bend over backwards for them, they will not support you. I owned a retail establishment for 20 years and customer service was the key.

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
You're defintely right cigrmaster, we're hoping someone might decide to buy the business at the last moment!

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Sucks...It's hard out there especially in this economy...
I've only bought 2 tins from my local B&M, it's just too expensive, I know they have to make money, but I got to live.

a 9 dollar tin will be 15, I bought some 3 oaks and it was almost 17 bucks!!! I'd rather put in a TAD order online and get free shipping and more choices. The internet might be the driving force thats closing down some shops.
I do buy pipes and their bulk blends and they have a great cigar following that helps out.

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
@sjpipesmoker One main reason I went online for tobacco was that i got tired of waiting months (4 to be exact) for them to order wilshire tobacco. The owner and his manager didn't take time to order that for his customers. He had 4 or 5 empty jars on display at one time. Same for the other tobacco shop in my area. One employee told me that they did this so when they do order, the customer would buy more than one or two ounces. I told them " No it doesn't I just go online from now on." I think they need a reality show with a consultant for Tobacco and Cigar shops. "Tobacco Rescue" or something..

Aug 14, 2012
It has been over 50 years since I had a local pipeshop to hang out in. It sure was enjoyable. It won't change because the local tobacco taxes are so ridiculous (New York State, where the legislature needs lots of money to steal).

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
@patiobum Below is the website. They're not sure if they're closing at the end of November or mid November. Even that they're not sure.... I would hate to drive over and find the placed officially closed....
http://www.tinderboxmcallen.com/

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
It's official my local Tinder Box closed it's doors last night.... Everything in the store was 75 - 85 percent off, I was blown away by that so when I went to look at the pipes, they told me they were only 50% off and the tobacco was still regular price but even then on certain pipes he wouldn't give me the 50% discount! I bought a few accessories and cigars but no pipes... damn shame!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Tinderbox here is in a Mall, rents are out the ying yang I would imagine. The only thing that seperates you from your competition is service. Good luck & success on your new venture.

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
Deleon,
Why don't you see what it would cost to take it over? Maybe a few of your pipe friends can all get together and buy the shop? That way you can have your B+M shop and improve upon it. Maybe add internet sales to help with the business....Sounds like a good opportunity to me! That is if you have the $$ to swing it....

Status
Not open for further replies.