PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
The other day, I was moved up to cooking on the line at the restaurant. Today was my first day. It was a slow day, which was nice. It let me really get the hang of things. I've done plenty of cooking, but never on a line before. Over all everything went pretty smooth and nothing got sent back.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's an art, it's a science, it magic, and it's sustenance. My wife did restaurant reviews on Manhattan for years, and food writing after that. Learned to cook on the farm in northern Missouri. Learned much more as she reviewed and wrote about food and came to know many chefs, cooks, restauranteurs. Take care of your health, your feet, your blood pressure. Congratulations!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I've only ever worked in kitchens. Though this is my first time cooking on the line. I love this restaurant though. I spend more time there then I do anywhere else.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I spent 10 years in food and beverage. It's a demanding business so keep your wits about you. Congratulations on your promotion. One thing for certain, a good cook can always find work. Learn all you can and never miss the opportunity to expand your skills. A very smart restaurant chain owner once told me "Always remember, they can buy that steak anywhere. Why are they going to buy it from you?" It's something I never forgot. It helps you stay customer focused.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Congrats! :clap:
While still in school, I did prep cook, fry cook and finally line cook. Good times! :)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Way to go, Ben.
I spent some formative years in my mom's downtown diner and then later worked over ten years in food and beverage. I loved every minute of it and hope you do as well.
Fnord

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Super cool! I have been a working chef on and off the last 25 years and right next to pipes, food is my biggest passion. Cooking is a great career with lots of foward movement if you are driven, as you are experiencing. I remember clearly the first time I was on the line, I love the high you get from the lunch and dinner rush. Working the line is one of the best ways to train yourself to multi-task and always remember to be very vocal and call stuff out to your line manager. Have a great time learning to cook.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That's great! Food is as much of a cultural language as music, but much more universally spoken.

Glad you're moving on up and developing what can be an art and something you can share with others for the rest of your life.

Is there a specialty of the house? A specific cuisine?

I worked at a Howard Johnson's while I was in High School, the Student Union in college and other temporary cooking positions back in the day. I worked myself from dishwasher to salad 'chef' (including triple decker club sandwiches, to the fry 'o later, (double battered onion rings, french fries, chicken, fish, clams, oysters)to breakfast cook at the grill in front of the window, out on the fountain too, making everything from frappes, freezes and milkshakes to sundaes, banana splits and ice cream cones.

A great way to meet folks, too.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Congratulations! I work in a family owned sandwich shop myself, but I really love the industry. There's a newspaper clipping on the wall at one of the local hotdog joints that tells the story of their old dishwasher. He went to work every morning for decades in a suit and polished shoes. Changed into his work clothes when he got there, and at closing time he'd get dressed again and lock the door behind him, the last guy to leave. I've always found him inspiring--the moral for guys like us is this; always take your work seriously, even if nobody else in the whole world does.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Congratulations! Line cook is where I topped out during my college years - but I learned a lot about cooking (and restaurants in general) that has served me well since then.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Congrats! There are days I really miss restaurant work. Be careful cleaning the flat top at the end of the night. Steam burns are the worst!!

Status
Not open for further replies.