PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It wasn't easy, but I got past the smokingpipes.com sale over the weekend, 10% off all pipes. Plenty of enticements at the mid-price level, but I was most sorely tempted by a Rossi at the low end, a black rusticated billiard Vittoria, nice light weight big bowled pipe. Fortunately, someone finally bought it and put me out of my misery. I am always tempted by the various versions of the Sav 404 or Rossi 8404, but I have one bought thirty-plus years ago as an unfinished with a few fills, but now turned a lovely walnut shade that takes a burnished shine. I don't want to put that one out of the rotation by buying another, but I really like the shape, understated but snazzy. Also flirted with a few English estates at the site, especially an unsmoked Plymouth, not a fancy pipe but with some flair and a few dark spots in the finish that kept the price down. But for those of you with fewer than (say) thirty pipes, get busy! Ah, PAD. Also evaded buying a derby hat -- now where in the world would I wear that? To my job in a London bank? Who do I think I am, T.S. Eliot? But I do love hats.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Add me to the list of survivors. I haven't placed a single order in 3 weeks.
The past week was a true test of will power. That SPC sale nearly had me.
....must resist.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Being in full blown tobacco hoarding mode at the moment, SPC's pipe sale didn't even raise an eyebrow here.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I did avoid buying a pipe, though I was sorely tempted by some of the Ropps. But I did buy a new hat. I love hats. I wear a hat everyday and everywhere I go (though I, of course, take it off inside).

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Being in full blown tobacco hoarding mode at the moment, SPC's pipe sale didn't even raise an eyebrow here.

Same here. The P&C sale though had a baccy I like, at $5 a tin ($3.33 an oz) I couldnt resist. 20 tins.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It was a close one for me as well. Been eyeing those Ropp's since Pease mentioned smoking one on FB and commented on how good it smokes. Can't go wrong with really old French Briar. They also had a Peterson 106 Spigot that was really nice. Excellent blast and light weight; but I resisted the temptation.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I got dinged pretty hard. Had my eye on a silver-banded Radice and decided to let it ride for a month. It was still there yesterday. Now it is headed to me.

Jun 4, 2014
It was a long week at work and when I got the email about the sale I thought about treating myself with a new pipe, but I resisted the temptation of the sale.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
One thing I had my eye on went pretty fast so I did not have to worry until I checked my email to see 20% savings on Peterson at Pipe Divan... I resisted buying but I was very close to picking up one of their Peterson Slimline D6 (Dublin). I have had my eye on that pipe for a while.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
I guess technically I didn't survive. Included a MM Mizzou Bent ($3:45) with my June haul. :)

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
mso, I have been trying to justify buying a derby for years now. I still can't figure out a single occasion I would wear it for. Of course, on the subject of hats, I did get a deerstalker for crazy hat days.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I barely made it past the SP sale. It took some deep breaths, but I made it. I am trying to gain some discipline.
Yeah, right.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
P&C had their clearance sale going on and I caved on a Peterson Donegal Rocky Billiard for $79.99. It was my father's day gift to myself. They had free shipping on everything over $79.00, so got that and 2 free tins of the Borkhum Riff Limited Edition 36 Degrees North tobacco.

DAMN PAD!!!

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
I gladly took advantage over the weekend of the Peterson 20% off deal from Pipe Divan (James Fox, Dublin). I've got a Peterson Pipe of the Year 2016 coming -- d20, an interesting chimney shape.

In addition to the discount, they offered free shipping. I assumed that wouldn't apply to international orders, but it did!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
snowyowl, I don't know if it's your "thing," but that chimney is made for smoking Semois, the Belgium burley variant.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Ah/yes --- mso489, based on your earlier suggestion for my new Rattray's bulldog, I now have a Semois brick on hand. But now to add this very interesting chimney info, I have the opportunity to dedicate my Peterson d20 chimney to this stuff. I can be a bit of history.
Previously I think you recommended the bulldog shape for this stuff. I get the tall, narrow shape as unique. Why bulldog also, if I'm not 'mis-remembering'?

Status
Not open for further replies.