Got My Hands On A Vintage Manx Carve Your Own African Meerschaum Kit...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
I have actually had the kit for about a year and have been hesitate to try turning it on the lathe with visions of it shattering, it turned surprisingly well though, I added a nickel shank cap, Cumberland accent ring and stem, hoping to finish it up tomorrow...

[/url

[url=http://imgur.com/iA2oS1u]

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
That is turning into one of the best meers I have ever seen. I'd be proud to own that pipe. Its a shame, everytime I see one of the "master carvers" pokers there is always something off with the lines. Yours is a beauty.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Great work lovely contrast between stem and bowl.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice work ! I'd have been scared witless trying to turn a meer block in the lathe! Love that stem !

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Nice work! Don't believe I've ever seen a Meerschaum with a poker style.
Do you mind if I ask what type/brand lathe you are using?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very impressive job you did on that. You've got a beautiful meer there...congrats...hope it smokes well for you.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
I just finished the African Meerschaum pipe I was working on, here are pre-wax and post-wax shots, I used several coats of natural (yellow) beeswax to finish it which brings out the mottled look of the African meerschaum, I think the slight color adds a bit of richness and character to the pipe...

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Not only a nice looking pipe, but also some excellent work on making the stem. A great match up!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
astrange1 I must say you did an awesome job on that. I like the white, but the waxed look is so much better. Too bad you don't have a few of those laying around. I think I'd want one. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.