PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I made a post the other day about how I wanted to branch out from aros, and ordered 8oz of PS LNF. I love flakes for the extra steps in the smoking ritual they afford. It just arrived from smokingpipes. Ordered Saturday and arrived Wednesday; not bad for a holiday weekend. Tried my first bowl cube cut in my little Butz Choquin straight Billiard, am smoking the second in my small SMS plain Dublin meer. Here's my review, and why you'll never see me on tobacco review sites:
It's tobacco-y!
That said, it's just what I was looking for - I was tired of the sweetness of aros, and I wanted something that tasted like tobacco, not vanilla, cherries or rum (I believe rum should be properly applied to the smoker, not the smoke). I love it.
Some reviews said it was sweet and/or tasted like hay; neither ring true for me. Aaron packed it so well, none of the delicate little flakes disintegrated from it's trip to Texas from S. Carolina. I've had two flakes before, Erinmore Flake and Solani Aged Burley Flake, and couldn't keep them lit worth a darn; this stuff burns all the way to the bottom of the bowl with little effort. I also believe I can detect a little Vitamin N in it also, something I never got with aros. Apparently I like VaPers.
This will be one of my regular rotations - I'm sure I'd like Escudo as everyone seems to, but this stuff is less than half the price. I tried some Burleys early on, and really hated them, they tasted like brown Crayolas, but I can see another pass in my future. Then where? Maybe some, dare I say it, Latakia? It might be a while before I contract the Black Blood disorder, but who knows?
I remember my first sip of whiskey - Leslie and I snuck out to a backwoods country lane, away from our parents, and shared a fifth of Jack Daniels we drank from the bottle. I couldn't believe people would willingly drink stuff that obviously belonged under their kitchen sink. Now that I'm older, the only type of whiskey for me is bourbon (or Scotch) drunk neat at room temperature.
DISCLAIMER: This is meant in no way to disparage Six's decision to stick with aros - smoke what you like is probably Rule Number One. While I do harass Lonestar for drinking his Natural Light, when everyone knows beer comes from Belgium, if you like Jim Bob's Fine Tobacco Product (contains real tobacco!), that's what you should smoke, and you're welcome around me :)
PS Thanks to everyone that gave me specific non-aro recommendations, I sense there will be some C&D Engine 99 in my future, and some Altadis Blue Note too.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Glad you enjoyed it! Its a nice simple and clean smoke for me.
I like it in a cob in my work truck. LBF is still my go to bulk but I plan on keeping LNF on hand.
Course Prairie Wind is another go to bulk for me...

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
I have pounds of this stuff, it is straightforward, easy to like, and priced to hoard. Glad you liked it, and good luck from here on out!
As an aside, you mentioned about the sweetness, and not seeing this. I have seen this in smoking cigars, and in showing people how to taste wine and spirits. there are Cabernet Sauvignons that show a sweet ripe fruit aspect, but have little actual residual sugars. Some Connecticut broadleaf cigars show a semisweet dark chocolate profile, and are truly full bodied and spicy. Similarly, with pipe tobacco (and I am still learning the ropes here, so bear with me), some smokes show a sweet texture, or sweet flavors, without actually being SWEET, per se. If the flavors of the smoke all remind you of sweet sensory experience, it can be sweet without being aro sweet, dig?
OR. You could just burn it happily and not over think things like I do. o)

tuner

Lurker
Jul 26, 2013
I like many vapers, and have smoked McClellens 2015 for years ,as well as PS LNF and their Bullseye flakes which are also great and reasonable. Recently I've smoked a pound or so of John Pattons COOL HAND FLUKE found at 4 noggins.com and I think its a great va/per most va/per lovers should try. Especially if you love perique. Try it also.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Glad you enjoyed. I'm also a huge fan of LNF, especially with a little age on it. I used to prefer LBF but now it's a toss-up. A superior value and a dang good VaPer at any price.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I really like LNF and LBF fresh. I can't wait to see what a few years ion the cellar do for these blends as Roth has mentioned.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Chris I pulled a jar of 6 month old LBF and noticed that the Virginia's mellow a bit. It's still got that hay taste to me, but it's not as sharp and seems more "enveloped" into the overall taste now. Just that little bit of time really helped IMO. Sometimes fresh it all just seems sharp like the Virginia's and Perique are pushing against each other. I've got another batch sitting there that I'm going to try at a year.
I still think LNF is better then LBF fresh out of the bag. The citrus notes in it help with that I think.
I've got both cellared away.
Cool Hand Fluke....I'll have to look into that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.