PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I posted in an earlier thread today on dark fired tobaccos that I was in the process of smoking my first ever bowl of Old Dark Fired. I have subsequently finished that bowl and am now smoking another and I am having a huge problem with it. I only brought home roughly 3 bowls in a sample bag that I got yesterday from the B&M that I work P/T at! I'm now in a pickle because I don't work again for 3 days and it's too far to go for just a single tobacco purchase, lol.
This stuff is absolutely amazing and not at all what I thought it was going to be like. I'm getting everything from a fruity note to a baked bread, malty taste to full on nuttiness that occasionally hints at some sweet and sour sensations. The nic hit is perfect and not overwhelming and the fact that it's available in bulk, which I'm smoking, makes it a bargain for such a great tobacco. I have been experimenting with orientals all week and decided that since I've already stepped well outside my comfort zone, I'd give the ODF a shot as well. I am not just being overly dramatic when I say this smoking experience has been life changing. I love my Latakia blends but like so many I find it a bit much in sweltering, steamy heat of summer and most of my smoking is done outdoors. Now along with McClellands Black Sea Sokhoum and the ODF, I have options.
This forum, it's members and a retired Marine I met at our shop are owed the credit for my baptism into the realm of non-English tobacco blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had some of the same satisfaction out of GLP Triple Play. It hasn't replaced English blends, but it plays

off them nicely in rotation, along with one or two Va/Pers.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I just listened (again) to that episode while driving to the shop the other day and I also watched the you tube vid on it as well. What's more is that I clicked on TR today while smoking and read Jiminks did a review that IMO was spot on, (as usual). I swear that our palettes must have been turned out of the same mold because his descriptions are always in line with my experiences. Btw, I rarely read reviews on most tobaccos until after I've tried them simply to eliminate planting any pre-conceived notions or expectations in my head. What really got me with ODF was there was absolutely no tongue bite whatsoever even when I purposely tried to force it a little. I'm a bit of a sissy with that I suppose due to earlier attempts with Virginias with little age on them. This VaBur with the Kentucky leaf is just so smooth and rich that it almost defies description.

Status
Not open for further replies.