PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Lately, I've been deeply entrenched in traditional British pipes, and haven't varied too far off that course, but I still very much appreciate what I consider to be good design, and ever since I first saw a Gamboni rhodesian, I was kind of smitten with his unique shapings.
big_straight_rhodesian.jpg

I wasn't lucky enough to get one of those -- the prices are usually outta my ballpark anyway, so I couldn't pass this up when I saw it at P&C on sale for $227, which is a good price relatively speaking.
There was only one photo and no specs, I didn't really know what to expect because of the odd picture angle and how sometimes Gamboni shapes can have a sort of optical illusion...

pm-pgamfh3-r.png

I poured over his website looking for the closet examples,

http://www.gianmariagamboni.com/gmg_pipes.pl

comparing apples to tomatoes, and bullcaps to diplomats, LOL, I couldn't figure it out and decided just to wait and see --- it got here today!
The closet match from his gallery is the Wales,

http://www.gianmariagamboni.com/gmg_pipes_zoom.pl?pipe_id=87&year=2013

and it's one of the shapes that I love, so I'm happy!

:D
rs3mX26.jpg

vgJNrV8.jpg

5JeC3zx.jpg

xIQfOey.jpg

RUMcleo.jpg

xtuhvPZ.jpg

11eYTtd.jpg

May 31, 2012
LOL

:P
Some of his stuff is out there fersure,

look through his gallery!
I got a soft spot for the organic art nouveau vibe and Becker-like traits.
It weighs 42g
I'm actually trying to evaluate if I'm gonna keep it or not, although it looks cool, I'm not sure I like smoking a pipe with such a forward canting bowl, and it seems a bit nose heavy for clenching, but, I'd probably never be able to find another at that price, so I'm weighing it all out...
edit!

Your comment went over my airhead ROTFLMAO!

You meant one of these!

:lol:

zamboni-440-web.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Unusual in the best sense. Just the ticket to unfold a sophisticated English, Balkan, or one of those

down country C&D burley blends.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
She's certainly a head turner, and I'd say she's a keeper! I'd load her up with a slow burning flake and sip back and enjoy.
Congratulations!

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
That smooth pipe has insane grain, absolutely stunning. I like the oddness on the blast pipe, almost looks like a piss bucket in shape. Very nice pipes.

May 31, 2012
I've decided to return this pipe,

it just won't be a comfortable functional smoker in my opinion,

at least for me.
It does look cool though,

and it's very well made.
It'll be back as in stock at P&C probably next week if anyone may be interested, compare prices for Gamboni pipes and you'll find that it's a really good deal for one of his.

May 31, 2012
The extreme forward cant, and it's a bit more bulbous than I would have liked, although it's not exactly heavy, the way it distributes that weight makes it a little uncomfortable for me, and I thought it'd regardless be a nice hand pipe, like a polished river stone, but it doesn't exactly want to embrace my hand in a comfortable way.
It just doesn't "fit me" I guess.
The interesting thing is that it's actually a Becker design called a "Galles",

Gamboni's interpretation of the shape is called both Wales and Galles it seems...

p0454_2.jpg

I haven't actually put it in the mailbox yet, was going to do that tomorrow, so it might yet remain, but I doubt that it'll win me over.

:|

May 31, 2012
PS
Peck, if you like the pipe, I'd gladly trade it,

and this near mint Gainey,

http://instagram.com/p/k02-T0K6id/?modal=true

for a Michael Parks blasted billiard!

:D

:idea:

:puffy:

May 31, 2012
Well,

I decided to keep the damn thing.
Smoked it this morning.
Awkward to light as I expected, but delivered ultra performance.
I just couldn't let it go.
The way this thing draws is incredible.
After readjusting from being so used to super-comfortable English straight billiards,

this pipe has become surprisingly comfortable, and it actually clenches well too, though a bit different from what I'm used to.
It's good to have a couple of outliers in the rack,

and this one is a good one to have.
I also learned that "Galles" means "Wales" in Italian, so Gamboni ain't changing the name, just the language.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galles
Perhaps the Wales thang is named after a classic English clay pipe?

VsSbvtY.jpg

Kinda makes me wanna get another of his to keep it company,

this one would be perfect!

http://www.bisgaard-pipes.com/product.asp?product=33849&vat=false&lang=uk#.VJGhxnv54po
So,

I think it shall serve me well.

FTJ8h97.jpg

t0OgfBa.jpg

tGK16wr.jpg

lJMW8he.jpg

laytonpipes

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
That is a really nice shape! It looks like the Rhodesian from above but then from the side its completely different. very cool

May 31, 2012
That is a really nice shape! It looks like the Rhodesian from above but then from the side its completely different. very cool
I think so too,

it's definitely got eye appeal.
It was, however, a bit of a challenge to actually use it comfortably right off the bat because it's so outside of the norm for me - but I'm sorta glad that I warmed up to it and I think it'll end up paying good dividends on my smoking enjoyment.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I have one with not as severe a cant as yours but it's a fine smoker, I think yours will grow on you, enjoy.

banjo
10313561723_f67c5921f0.jpg

May 31, 2012
Thanks Banjo,

I've been impressed so far at how well it smokes,

it's growin' on me pretty damn quick!

:)
Yours looks really nice, especially the cumberland stem, it's got a great contrast stain too!

Status
Not open for further replies.