Got Lucky And Scored A Very Rare Unopened Cutter Top...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
DSVnrYe.jpg

8) ...and now I'm ready to ride!
Just gotta wait for it to get here...
ebay link - W.H & J. Woods "Denver Strips"
Dunno much about it,

I am quite curious.
Here's an illustrative tin of the same blend:
vnOw1EU.jpg

The cutter-top looks cherry to me, puffy in all the right places, sadly lacking the original paper label but I can live without that!
But, you never really know until you're actually holding it in your own hands, what if the seller cleverly placed the lid in that specific manner to hide and omit that it had been pierced there in that section?
I'd be like :crying: if that turns out to be the case!
Guess I'll find out soon enough.
I'm rather excited!

:)
Hardly any hard info to be found about the firm online, and there's another Woods too who also made baccy, this outfit operated out of Preston and by all measures they would seem to me to be quite small, but I'm really unsure because they had an extensive lists of available tobaccos to choose from:

Beachlight Flake

Beachlight Plug

Chung Pigtail

Denver Curly Cut

Denver Cut Golden Bar

Denver Mixture

Denver Pigtail

Denver Roll

Denver Rough Cut

Denver Strips

Devona Flake

Devona Mixture

Dot Dash Mixture

Duchy Cut Golden Bar

Duchy Plug

Duchy Flake

Dukes Motto Mixture

Goschen Navy Cut Mild/Med/Full

Grotto Mixture

H.C.V. Flake

Clearpak Mix

Knutty Mixture

Nicky Pigtail

Nicky Roll

Nubian Mixture

Nubian Pigtail

Old Oak Plug

Old Tats Mixture

Palatine Plug

Perfection Flake

Piecer Roll

Piecer Pigtail

Puncher Bar

Purple Heather Mixture

Radyo Flake

Radyo Mixture

Scotch Mellow Mixture

Sunny Shag

Too Good Mixture

Too Good Flake

Walkover Flake
One rarely sees any surviving artifacts from the company.
Perhaps they dealt mainly with loose bulk baccy?

(therefore not needing much packaging)
There is a scant record,

but here are some visuals...
IN7Q54T.jpg

m9w69Bi.jpg

0IKqdO8.jpg

jA59nX0.jpg

ge0nVWY.jpg

gBRpSrU.jpg

0MRQOEm.jpg

WCDPTty.jpg

japWqLo.jpg

vQvuuWk.jpg

SmU9PvJ.jpg
:puffy:

May 31, 2012
:mrgreen:

I love bacon,

so that'd be good too!
My major concern is what appears to be a possible pinhole,

seen upper left in this big image:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/JZQAAOSwNyFWcCZP/s-l1600.jpg

...above the "H".
This was one of those magic finds for me, and I'm totally stoked!
The seller never responded to my poorly translated messages and the auction ended with no bids, then I prepared a desperate and pleading (and somewhat romantic) message after the first aucction closed, again with the aid of google translate, and he finally responded and agreed to post it over, but then re-listed it with another full 7 day auction which was excruciating!

I was hoping he'd do a BIN.
I liked that the sellers name translated to "my abyss",

a nice touch! :D
Since the stuff is so scarce, I had to look it up, and actually found a post from the seller on a forum he belongs to!

http://placedelours.superforum.fr/t21263-ancienne-boite-de-tabac-a-macher-marque-wh-j-woods-preston

:P
Something like this wouldn't have gotten much attention regardless of where it was auctioned, just because it's an unknown quantity and no one would have heard of it, so it would have likely been got cheap wherever.
I'm just a rank nutter about these oddball orphans!
:idea:

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Congrats Troy, looking forward to seeing this old Dinosaur in person!
Eric

May 31, 2012
Yes friends, I do admit that I have become a tin collector, not for the high end stuff mind you,

but if I come across a nice tin on the cheap I'll grab it fersure.
Empty tins?

Yes.
Got quite lucky finding a very old S&G tin recently:

Vintage Lot Small Tins Cut Golden Bar Bob Pins Park & Tilford Temple of Heaven

and,

it's a "finger tin" (that's what they call 'em) - almost exactly the same size as my index finger.

Although it may look a bit tatty, it's actually in pretty good shape when referenced against other existing examples.

A rare treat to find something good over here on this side of the pond and for an absolute bargain too!
It's a nifty 'lil bugger!
P0uoLje.jpg

nm2q6VE.jpg

For more about S&G,

see here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/salmon-amp-gluckstein-ltd-antiquarian-nicotiana-brittanica-vol-17
In other news,

I was watching a grand old Fritz Lang flick the other day for the first time, Man Hunt,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_Hunt_%281941_film%29

...and I took notice in one scene of a St. Bruno sign,

of which,

of course,

I had to snap a pic!

crazy.gif

8rWoIQK.jpg

Not only have I arrived at codger status,

but I'm also a full-blown anorak now too!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorak_%28slang%29
smoking-pipe-024.gif

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Hi Troy,
Beautiful tin. A real find!
WH & J Woods was one of the largest tobacco blenders in the north of England, at one time employing more than two hundred people.
The business was originally founded by John Woods (~1815-1866) as a tobacconist some time in the late 1830s. The shop was located in the Old Shambles in Preston. John was born in Preston, and the first of his family in the tobacco trade; his father, another John, was a maltster (i.e. a preparer of malt for brewers).
John married Jane Carter (~1816-1879) in early 1841, and together they produced a fairly large number of daughters and sons. The only ones relevant to this story, however, are William Henry (1843-1924) and his younger brother, yet another John (1850-1892).
After John senior died in 1866, his widow Jane took over the shop; she is listed in the 1871 census as a tobacconist. By that time her son, William Henry, was 27 and likewise active in the family business. Younger son John joined his brother at some point in the 1870s, and after their mother passed away in 1879 they were left in charge. Hence the name of the business: "WH & J Woods", for William Henry and John. The brothers relocated the shop first to Main Sprit Weind, and then a short distance away to Church Street where it intersected with Avenham Street. They also moved into the manufacturing side of the business with the establishment of a factory on Derby Street.
Although brother John did marry (to a woman named Betsey Ward in late 1876), they apparently had no children. After John died young in 1892, his older brother William Henry was therefore left to manage the business alone. William Henry, by the way, became a prominent citizen of his hometown, serving as a member of the town council in 1888, and eventually becoming mayor of Preston in 1894. Like many early entrants into the tobacco manufacturing business, success equated to wealth. When William Henry died in 1924 his estate was valued at about 67,500 pounds, equal to about $3.5 million in today's money.
The immediate transition of the business after William Henry died is unclear to me. Although he married a woman named Ida Louisa and had four children, they were all daughters and apparently uninvolved in the business. I suspect, but can't be sure, that it was sold in the 1920s. What is positive is that it wound up being purchased by Dobie on its brief acquisition spree in 1951. I gather the Church Street shop continued on until 1978, when the business changing hands yet again resulted in its being closed.
So there's a bit more about the company behind your beautiful tin. I hope it arrives in immaculate condition, and that you enjoy it very much!
Jon

May 31, 2012
Jon ~

ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE!
You've made me a very happy man.
I had given up all hope, but, you sir, have delivered the goody goods with deft skill.

THANK YOU.
Looking back now, at the factory, I can't believe that i said that they might've been "a small concern", much appreciation for adding some invaluable textural concreteness...

WH & J Woods was one of the largest tobacco blenders in the north of England, at one time employing more than two hundred people.

...some of the old timey companies have seemed to have just fallen off the map, and WHJWoods is one of them, like totally obscure and seemingly not even much collector interest compared to say another firm such as Taddy & Co. whose artifacts can command high premiums.
The further North it gets, the better I like the tobacco it seems. WHJW was known for their strong twist especially and I like the stout stuff, I was slightly disappointed that my tin was the Med. version as the regular Denver Strips were more likely fuller in strength.
I never cease to be amazed by the UK tobacco industry, the 20th century belonged to them, they could not be beat, they had no peer.
Looking at a map one can note the close proximity of many of the tobacco factories and if one is familiar with the known traits of specific brands and such, then one can be in awe with the tremendous variety of local tastes, even when the companies may have been clustered close together.
ovJrwUz.png
The numerous firms in Liverpool, then up famous Lakeland Kendal way, down in Manchester was CWS, and probably quite a few more makers scattered along roundabout, and with "manufacturing tobacconists" too, all fairly concentrated in geographical location.
...Old Shambles in Preston
Love that place name!

This is a good olde mappie to ogg a gog:

http://profittfamily.com/images/mapofpreston.png
Wikipedia tells me thus:

The Preston Temperance Society, led by Joseph Livesey pioneered the Temperance Movement in the 19th century.

Indeed, the term teetotalism is believed to have been coined at one of its meetings.

--- the influence and power of such "teetotalers" continued to grow unabated, despite the valiant efforts from learned citizens in union against their activity,

such as the everzephyrful AOFB,
http://frothblowers.co.uk/cartoons.html
Who are noted for proudly and loudly saying that they were...
"A sociable and law abiding fraternity of absorptive Britons who sedately consume and quietly enjoy with commendable regularity and frequention the truly British malted beverage as did their forbears and as Britons ever will, and be damned to all pussyfoot hornswogglers from overseas and including low brows, teetotalers and MPs and not excluding nosey parkers, mock religious busy bodies and suburban fool hens all of which are structurally solid bone from the chin up."
Yet another reason why I admire Gary B. Schrier, as well as being a top shelf publisher, he is actively engaged against the absurdity and fights the good fight.
Huzzah!

Three cheers for Defenders of the Faith!

tiphat.gif

...his father, another John, was a maltster.
Ah malt, my other passion in life, not as involved as tobacco, but man do I thoroughly appreciate a damn good stout, most especially milk stout, and the stuff matches perfectly with tobacco!
beer-smiley.gif

"WH & J Woods",

for William Henry and John.
One of the oddities that I've noticed is the case of the intermittent fullstop after the H, sometimes it's there and sometimes it ain't!

W.H and W.H.

...it makes me intensely curious why that would occur?
When William Henry died in 1924 his estate was valued at about 67,500 pounds, equal to about $3.5 million in today's money.

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
I suspect, but can't be sure, that it was sold in the 1920s. What is positive is that it wound up being purchased by Dobie on its brief acquisition spree in 1951.
It's rather amazing that they held out that long given the conglomeration climate, it speaks to the strength of the company I think, perhaps being extremely popular at least locally, and the dedicated family members who kept it all going.
Jon,

I cannot thank you enough kind sir.
You have deeply enriched my knowledge base and given solid granite to grasp,

yet further amplifying my enthusiasm!
You're the best.
Cheers!

:puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Fingers crossed for a good result! I'd love to see that Lanchester Motor car as well, they aren't often seen here in the states but were considered a premier British automaker.

http://wikicars.org/en/Lanchester_Motor_Company

May 31, 2012
Fingers crossed for a good result!

I'd love to see that Lanchester Motor car as well, they aren't often seen here in the states but were considered a premier British automaker.

http://wikicars.org/en/Lanchester_Motor_Company
Thanks for the well wishes....
...and many thanks for pointing out the automobile Al,

I had neglected to investigate it!
Neat stuff.

:)

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
mlc, I am not sure, nor an expert, but the mark above the "H" does not seem to be a pin hole to me. I hope it turns out well for you. Do let us know.
What is a dailmer fluid flywheel? I take it a preselective self changing gear box is a automatic transmission... correct? What year is that ad from? A 12 volt system is impressive I think...my 63 VW bug still had a 6 volt system.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
From the wiki, Lancaster pretty much became Daimler after 1931, so I would assume that car to have been made in the late 1930's? And, you are right - a 12 Volt system in that era is unique (MG's were still 6 volt into the 1960's as well). From a forum post of the Antique Auto Club of America:

All the English and European Bosch equipt cars of the late teens and early 20's ie. Mercedes, Minerva, Metallurgique, Styer, Fiat, Austo-Damlier are all 12 volt.
My how we love to learn arcane bits of trivia... (but I need a spreadsheet to remember web passwords...)

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Jay has piqued my interest too.

(It's been a couple months since misterlowercase has been on here, though)

Status
Not open for further replies.